• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

adjustable coil spacers..

BILLXJ

NAXJA Forum User
is there a good cost effective alternative to purchaseing some of those commercially available adjustable front coil spacers or "Acos" :rolleyes: - I would like the ease of makeing some quick front end height changes without all the other front end disassembly required - I am really getting worn out haveing to frequently make adjustments with the front end.-If there is not an alternative,then what about some other sources.
-TIA

The ACOS is available from quite a few sources, but IIRC the price is pretty consistent.
I'm curious as to your need "to frequently make adjustments with the front end" - why is that? Are you resetting your alignment (at least toe-in) each time you change the height of your front end?

Their only $200......that's a pretty reasonable price for a good Jeep modification. It would be hard to justify the cost and time involved in making something similar, if you could even figure out what to do.

200 dollars that way to much go to auto zone or checker they have the same things made for rice burners as a cheaper alt. for coilovers I think they run like 30 bucks. I have seen them on a cherokee and I thought they were the acos until I was told otherwise.

..thx to all for the comments- will be going to the local Autozone first thing tommorow
:rolleyes: ..thiirty bucks,.or so for a set ?
I am assumeing from azxjman's comment of seeing something similiar to the ACOS front coil spring adjustable unit being used on a XJ that I too might just be able to find such a cost-effective alternative-Hopeing that I don't come across as a "cheapskate" or "tightwad ,but. with all due respect to any commercial vendors, to shell out something like $200.00 dollars in this downturned economy for a set of front adjustable coil spacers is..errrr kinda hard right now.
BILLXJ

got up bright and early(..well not really. early..) and went down to our local Autozone auto parts store here in the midwest and was advised by a young "lad" behind the counter ,... that "nothing like an adjustable coil spacer exists "-:confused:
Go figure ??
Does anybody( azxjman..?.) have any fotos or additional information of this item they would like to share-
TIA

thats why i was waiting for az to post pics or gather specific info.

i don't believe they exist either, but am looking forward to be proven wrong.

bad info wastes time, and annoys the jeeper.

come awn az, lets see it.

I ran the gold anodized adjustable spacer pictured at the Flexi-flyer site on my dirt car. I used a 4 1/2" grinder to add notches around the adjustment ring so I could stick a screwdriver through a hole in the spring bucket and adjust them like drum brake adjusters. Stealthy way to get around the "no weight jack" rules.

I've seriously considered adapting these to my XJ, but they haven't reached the top of the to-do list yet.

Hopeing that I don't come across as a "cheapskate" or "tightwad ,but. with all due respect to any commercial vendors, to shell out something like $200.00 dollars in this downturned economy for a set of front adjustable coil spacers is..errrr kinda hard right now.

I don't see you coming across as a tightwad, but have to ask...if you spend this much time adjusting and then searching for an alternative product...how much is your time worth? Seems to me you have already spent the $200 in time and headaches. I would just as soon go with a proven product then try to find a cheap fix. I have done this before and have spent way more fixing broken parts and then buying the original. Just my .02

Max. You have used these? are they hollow so they would fit over the bumpstop or would you have to incorporate the stop like on the acos? also it looks like all the way closed they would be a pretty tall spacer. what about spring diameter?

. want to reply to above post ,.. errr,..Rather than getting into some "circular logic" discussion and exchange with " Urban Redneck"-,..
." but have to ask...if you spend this much time",..etc ..etc,.- I just want to say yes :D and I will expend and spend the time or effort to find any cost-effective alternative ,. plus I have access to a MIG welder (Hobart Ironman) and a good equiped machine shop( ole-fashioned Yankee ingenuity ) -Also thanks MaXJohnson on that "heads-up" to possibly useing that adjuster coil spacer item from Flexi-flyer, ..hopeing I did'nt offend any Autozone clerks down in Olathe
with that earlier crack about "young lads"
BILLXJ

Remember that you have to deal with the bumpstops......the ACOS comes with them.

I recall Ron Stevick used a pair of industrial pipe clamps as spacers. These were 2 pc steel dealies with set screws, approx .5" thick...fit over (around) the bumpstop tower. He used them in between the factory isolator and a poly spacer IIRC.

OTOH he had well trimmed fenders and used the inners as 'bumpstops'. Plus his rig had enough droop that he could add or delete them without a lot of fuss.

Seemed to me a quick & easy cheap fix to level things out.

{edit} Not nearly as elegant or versatile the ACOS though...and I dunno how safe stacking them would be... Ron's XJ in my example above was/is NOT a daily driver by a longshot) {edit}

Last edited:
Goatman said:
Remember that you have to deal with the bumpstops......the ACOS comes with them.

I think the ACOS is a great piece of equipment. It's a ready made solution that is proven and well engineered. Well worth the asking price. Like Richard said, the ACOS provides a bumpstop solution as well. I would pay the $200 if I wanted a store bought option, but I like to make my own junk and then say "look at my junk. I built it just like Beezil does."

The adjustable spacers are hollow through the center, but I don't know the ID and if it would slide over the factory bumpstop tube. I would guess it's about 2 1/2", but a phone call to Flexi-Flyer would get you all the specs. The factory bumpstop tubes are around 2" dia.

The threads, by the way are square cut and take quite a pounding on the right front of a dirt car a running 1,100 lb/in spring. That's all I can offer as I haven't used them in this application (XJ), but I'm leaning towards it.

Back