• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adding reverse light question

I did the same thing. How long before I am cooked? Wouldn't you need to have your reverse lights on for a sustained period of time for this to get that hot? Or, is it just possible from frequency of use?

revnitsudyak said:
I did the same thing. How long before I am cooked? Wouldn't you need to have your reverse lights on for a sustained period of time for this to get that hot? Or, is it just possible from frequency of use?

Soon
No
Yup

:D

Rev

I had mine on for bout 6 months, no problems. Now I'm no electrical pro like a lot of these guys, but that was my experience with the walmart lights hooked up to my taillights.

Chris

Having fixed a few NSS's from those that have not used a relay, I would say the average is 18 month depending on usage. These were not even driven every day. I have how to wire it correctly on my site when I added these.
Rlights12.jpg

http://go.jeep-xj.info

I strongly recommend installing the lights with an appropriately sized relay and fused power circuit. You may find that you blow the reverse light fuse with your current setup or prematurely kill the NSS (read no rebuild will help, must buy new $$).

I installed mine using the circuit for the pwr seats (deleted those foolish things) which have their own breaker in the fuse panel and a relay picking up a signal from the reverse light wire in the harness at the rear of the Jeep.

I also installed a switch in the driver side c pillar so I could disable the additional lights when I don't need them. Not rocket science but it took a bit of thinking and work. Well worth the effort to do it right since NSSs aren't cheap.

Good luck

Back