• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC manifold gauge set?

anthrax323

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

I'm about to do a complete AC system replacement on my 2001 and am ordering the tools I'm gonna need... Vacuum-pump wise, I'm looking at a $150 3cfm unit from Harbor Freight as it has stellar reviews and draws down to a 25 micron vacuum. Surprising, to say the least.

Now comes the issue with the manifold gauge set - I'm tempted to cheap out with HF's offering, however, I would rather spend a bit more and get a decent set to last me for a few years... Mastercool seems to receive decent reviews, but I'd like some NAXJA feedback.

Also, should I go with an aluminum block design or a brass model? Not sure what the pros and cons of each option are.

Thanks in advance!

Yellow Jacket has always served me well-- I suggested them to a friend when they were looking to buy, and the few times I've needed to borrow it, I've been impressed with the overall feel of it.

personally, I've got a gauge manifold from sometime before Moses was around that works better than anything I've used in the past 10 years, but it hos no name brand on it at all.

I would say that a decent aluminum manifold is going to be fine for the number of times you'll likely need to use it, but I'm not sure if there is any real benefit to brass unless it's more durable, or something.

I have the HF manifold set and do quite a bit of AC work in the summer. It's served me very well so far.

I would recommend purchasing a warranty on it though. The only issue i've had is the knobs breaking (plastic of course).

I bought the cheap air powered vacuum pump from HF and it worked pretty good. It took a few minutes to pull the vacuum down to where it needed to be but for the price I would give it an "A".

When I bought this I knew it was temporary though, I had 4 HD commercial vacuum pumps I just needed to get them to me, these are pricy units. They are here now.:cheers:

I paid alittle more for the manifold and gauge set and bought the Interdynamics set. I think it was around $80.

Thanks for all the input, guys.

I'm definitely sold on the HF vacuum pump (the 3cfm model specifically), as it seems to be a hell of a bargain... On the manifold gauge set, I ended up going with the Mastercool 89660:

http://mastercool.com/pages/R134aAl_2way.html

Should be a pretty decent set.

Shorty (and anyone else who can answer it) - that's where I've definitely been confused. Are the brass manifolds considered higher-end, or aluminum?

I don't know-- all of the people that I know who use them daily have brass manifold sets, so I've always assumed that there was a reason. In looking at a few different manufacturers of them, it appears that many of the aluminum ones command just as high a price as the brass.

In the real world, I think it's the quality of the other components that you need to concern yourself with most. A low quality gauge will cause more problems than the material that the manifold is made of.

Good points. I found a post on another forum saying that aluminum valve seats tend to wear quicker than brass (which perplexes me, as I always figured aluminum was stronger than brass, whereas brass is more resilient due to its malleability).

At least I did focus on one aspect when buying mine: all parts are readily available to rebuild it if needed. I'm hoping that's a sign of a quality unit.

Just received the 89660 a few minutes ago, and I have to say it seems to be a quality set. Very robust, clean and sturdy [looking] gauges, and large rubberized knobs for the high- and low-pressure lines.

Only time will tell, I guess.

Well one way to look at it I guess, it's a tool that really only gets used on a seasonal basis...not like it's seeing day to day use like a hand tool or something.

I was wondering only the other day what percentage of NAXJA folks have A/C, or leave it in place long term.

I had my A/C restored only a couple years ago, and have used it (highway driving, with a dog) but... occasionally contemplate opening up that space under the hood.

I have A/C in my 2000 XJ. It gets used often, mostly by my GF as she drives it most of the time. My XJ is also pretty much stock and pretty clean as it's a DD. It wasn't working very well to say the least. I put in a used JY compressor and had it pulled down and charged and it's working great, didn't change the drier or orfice tube like recommended but it's working great. I just wonder what it would be like if I changed both of them.
I was gonna buy a gauge set and a HF vacuum pump but though I won't use them much so went to my mechanic and he charged me $50 (which included the 134) to suck it down and charge it up, not a bad price.

Mastercool and Yellow Jacket have nice gauge manifold sets...
The gauge manifold set that I have used for many years is a 4 valve manifold with secure seal ends from J/B Industries (made in USA).
It is built durable and performs very well...

Last edited:
Back