• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ABS Question

Bigjeep

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1991 w/ABS and 242, 35c axle. I have an XJ 44 axle that I want to install, what will happen when I diconnect the ABS stuff?

Bigjeep said:
I have a 1991 w/ABS and 242, 35c axle. I have an XJ 44 axle that I want to install, what will happen when I diconnect the ABS stuff?

I have the same issue. Lookin to swap in an 8.8 but have a D35 with rear ABS. My XJ is a 95 2door with the 4.0, auto tranny and a 231. I posted a thread last week but only got a couple replies. Someone said they pulled the ABS fuse which disabled the ABS. They then pulled the ABS pump relay to kill the light. I'm not sure what works and what doesn't. I'd be mighty appreciative if anyone has all the anwers.

Choad

choad said:
I have the same issue. Lookin to swap in an 8.8 but have a D35 with rear ABS. My XJ is a 95 2door with the 4.0, auto tranny and a 231. I posted a thread last week but only got a couple replies. Someone said they pulled the ABS fuse which disabled the ABS. They then pulled the ABS pump relay to kill the light. I'm not sure what works and what doesn't. I'd be mighty appreciative if anyone has all the anwers.

Choad
Hello. Hello. Anybody out there?

You don't want to pull the abs pump relay or fuse since that pump is your power brake pump on the benix 9 system. Only pull the relay or fuse for the abs computer. You should check the fsm or chilton wire diagram before doing this however. Be careful that you do not lose your pwr brakes in the process. Greg

I've been searching for the answers to this question for 2 weeks now. I've seen 5 or 6 different answers as to disabling the ABS to junk the D35 for something stronger. None of them agree. Those of us who need the answer to this question are begging for help. Does anyone have the answer.

Choad
1995 2door XJ - 4.0, Auto, 231, D30 front, D35 rear, 4 Wheel ABS.

Sorry but my experience is with the older system on the 89 to 92 xjs. But I note your 95 xj system is different in one major sense. Your power brakes are not provided by an electric pump like on the earlier sys. You have the standard vacum booster for power brakes. The pump you spoke of must be simply the abs contoll module and not the pwr brake pump/booster like on the earlier models. Therefore simply pulling the fuse for the power to the abs sys should disable it. There should also be a separate fuse for your abs warning light. Both fuses should be listed in your owner manual re there location on the fuse block. Good Luck. Greg

Although the 95 may be a different setup than my 92 the later (92 & up) systems are a stand alone ABS setup that can be easily bypassed. I took out the ABS pump & rerouted the lines around it cause I needed the space the pump occupied & the axles I swapped in did not have provisions for ABS. Pulling the ABS fuse alone will dissable it. To turn off the ABS warning light on the dash you need to dissconect the ABS computer located under the dash just above the gas pedal.

The pre 92 ABS systems are integral with the power brake system & much more difficult to bypass. I don't have much time working with them so I won't say much about them.

Matt

The best advice I can offer for the Bendix POS ABS system is to ditch it for a '96 non-ABS brake system.

I am assuming you are planning to run larger tires or why do the axle swap in the first place. I have done the '91 D35 w/ABS to D44 with non-ABS swap. I completely swapped the brake system while I was at it. The Bendix system is dependant on the electric pump for all braking pressure. You cannot just pull the fuse or pump as you can on the later ABS system. You can pull the ABS computer fuse to disable the ABS function, but you are still putting your life in jeopardy with a pump and its fuse.

Because I did not try to run the D44 on the ABS pump and accumulator I can't say it won't work, but I wouldn't trust my life to it, nor would I even let my family in the XJ if I did.

Going to the '96 or newer system will upgrade the booster to dual diaphragms and will increase your braking power. Be warned if you go with a '97 and newer you will have to do a bit of fabbing for the pedal to work. Check out the ABS to non-ABS tech article for a brief overview of the method.

Bones :skull1:

Bones,

What article are you talking about? I'm getting ready to make the swap on my 94' and would like to read it if I could find it.

Bones said:
The best advice I can offer for the Bendix POS ABS system is to ditch it for a '96 non-ABS brake system.

Thanks Bones. That really just burst my bubble but good info. Anyone want to buy a Dana 44 cherokee axle in N Texas? Hell for that matter how about a built lock lifted re-geared XJ with POS ABS. :mad:

Bigjeep said:
Thanks Bones. That really just burst my bubble but good info. Anyone want to buy a Dana 44 cherokee axle in N Texas? Hell for that matter how about a built lock lifted re-geared XJ with POS ABS. :mad:

Big,

Don't get discouraged. It's not that hard to swap out the crappy system for one that will actually stop you XJ.

It's more of an overview but read this: http://www.naxja.org/html/techarticles/uninstall_OEM_ABS.htm before you scrap your plans at a D44!

You will not get the ABS to work with the 44 so it's a great time to get safe and dump the Bendix system. I got every thing for the swap at the junkyard for about $100, and yards around here are high priced.

Back