• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ABS compatable axles or disable the ABS?...

after pulling my d35 and cutting the wires with a razor blade, my ABS light came on.

thats all ive done with mine. Fuses are all still there. Brakes still work. Now I have a light that tells me my ignition is on :D

I have noticed the ABS sensors use a two wire lead. My question is, would it be feasible to splice the front sensors into the rear inputs (parallel) on the ABS brain? Effectively enabling front ABS only? :wierd:
I drove another SUV once and it only had 'rear ABS' and I thought it was odd.

i dont know if that would work, how ever it would be nice, then i wouldnt have to worry about it when i upgraded to a dana 44...i will give it a try when i get some more wiring

Slo-Sho said:
I have noticed the ABS sensors use a two wire lead. My question is, would it be feasible to splice the front sensors into the rear inputs (parallel) on the ABS brain? Effectively enabling front ABS only? :wierd:
I drove another SUV once and it only had 'rear ABS' and I thought it was odd.

I seriously doubt it would work as the ABS brain does a system check and it something doesn't work right, it throws a light and disables the system.

Also, you would not want the fronts to not lock up but allow the rear. Can we say spin city. Found this out on my '69 Camaro when the rear would want to lock up before the front. This is why most low end ABS are only on the rear. You don't want the rear to lock before the front.

Rawbrown said:
You cannot adapt an 8.8's abs into a jeep. An 8.8 has a single tone ring on the carrier. Jeep uses a sensor at each wheel.
the Jeep system is 4 sensor but is still 3 hydraulic (front L&R and ONE rear)

AND yes you can! I have done it myself on my brothers 90XJ with a 8.8 and the ABS does still work and will do it again on my ZJ. I was going to go the route of the tone rings on each wheel mess but that is a pain and costly once you get bushings for the 8.8 shafts since the OD area on the 8.8 shafts is smaller in that spot than the d35.

how I KEPT the ABS working on his XJ and will do the same on my ZJ:
my ZJ tone rings are 54 tooth per side and the 8.8 has 108 teeth on the ring gear 54x2=108!
his 90 XJ tone rings are 51 tooth but we decided to try it this way anyway. and later found out that the sensor does not count the teeth but just either sees a tooth or not.

I took the angle grinder and ground down EVERY OTHER TOOTH on the 8.8 ring gear tone ring making it 54 teeth.
We then wired both the Jeep rear sensors together left and right reds together and the ford sensor red all together and then if I remember correctly the left and right Jeep wires were yellow and wire those to the other ford sensor wire.
finished the install and bleed the brakes, then took it for a spin. the ABS light came on at startup like usual and then went off like usual! and didnt come back on as if there was a problem. I then slammed on the brakes and YES the ABS was STILL WORKING without the ABS light comming on! and it has worked perfectly since we finished the install 2 weeks ago.

as far as I know I'm the first to be able to CONFIRM that this way works for sure. at least it did on his Bendix ABS brake system. I will later do this again on my ZJ when I find the right 8.8 in the yards.

if you have any questions about let me know I don't get one here much since I'm a ZJ guy but I'll get back if yall have questions =)

Last edited:
can anyone else confirm this

have you had any problems with the abs since then

Last edited:
red_01_xj said:
have you had any problems with the abs since then
no problems at all whatsoever! It has been flawless for the last 2 weeks since the install, and the 8.8 with disks is a real nice upgrade in braking. The 8.8 was installed b/c with his stroker it blew up the D35 (broken spider gears, chewed ring and pinion, bent the cross-shaft)

Djjordache said:
no problems at all whatsoever! It has been flawless for the last 2 weeks since the install, and the 8.8 with disks is a real nice upgrade in braking. The 8.8 was installed b/c with his stroker it blew up the D35 (broken spider gears, chewed ring and pinion, bent the cross-shaft)

Care to share any photos of the tone ring or the left and right sensors inside the pig ?

Jeff

ok I dunno what you mean by pig?.... but i looked through all the pics we took and I guess we didn't get a pic of the modified tone ring but all it is, is just every other tooth ground down on the 8.8 ring gear tone ring, just use an angle grinder and it makes it a short work job to do.
here is a pic of the 8.8 installed
installed-1.jpg

and a pic of the adapter ujoint used to go from the Jeep 1310 to the exploder 1330
P1010299.jpg

all the other pics I have are of the mounting and stuff but not of the abs portion of it but it's exactly like I said above and is EASY:yelclap: compaired to trying to do it the other way of mounting up the rings and sensors for each wheel....

huh...well you got me thinking and im wondering if anybody knows the tooth count on the 8.25 on the kjs or dakota

Djjordache said:
ok I dunno what you mean by pig?....

The cast steel differential housing.

Did you run the sensor wires through the cover or through the housing ?

If I were to guess Ford had a wire hole for thier ABS sensor.

Is the tone ring kept if you put in an ARB or Detroit locker ?

yes becasue it has to stay to creat proper spacing on the differntial

re-read it you use the Ford 8.8 sensor and adapt the wiring to the Jeep system. You don't need the Jeep tone rings or Jeep sensors you just need the wires to the Jeep sensors and the wiring from the Ford sensor.
I dunno about the keeping the tone ring with a carrier replacement see if you can find the install instructions for a detriot maybe it will say how to keep it.

edit and no it doesnot effect the ring gear spacing it bolts to the carrier but not in a way to effect the spacing

Here is a picture of a 8.25, it has 106 theeth, so i think it would work if the 108 worked...I personally would rather have all jeep parts than switch over to Ford, plus you could still get the disc brakes off of a libberty...
f933_1_b.JPG

Back