• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

About to loose my mind over 231 TC issues...

Boostwerks.com

NAXJA Forum User
So for the past 6 months its been a "one step forward, two steps back" sort of process for my heep. I rebuilt the transfer case with new bearings/seals/oil pump and upgraded to the 6 pinion planetary/wide chain setup at the same time.

I won't go into details with the little issues I've had, but what's been driving me nuts is that it grinds when I try to shift into 4 low (trans in neutral). It shifts fine however when the motor is off. Also shifting into 4 high is no problem. The linkage is fine as well (custom).

I've also been wondering if the problem has to do with the fact that I have a 96 trans and a 99 TC? I honestly can't remember if I had the TC is 4 low after the trans swap. Just not really looking forward to pulling the case for the 4th time this year :banghead:

Thanks for any help fellas. :kissyou:

Did you go with a wide chain? Most of the implementations of the wide chain do away with the syncro's in the tcase. Even with the tranny in neutral, with the engine running, there is a viscous drag that will cause the tranny output shaft to turn weakly, and if you don't have syncro's, you will have a bit of grumbling when you try to shift into gear.

I do have the wide chain. I don't have the syncro either, but isn't the syncro just for the 4Hi mode hub?

Yeah, I'm starting to think my "built" transmission may be causing more of a drag on the output even in neutral. The valve body has been upgraded to supply more pressure even off idle. It's near impossible (and horrible sounding) to try and shift into 4low even warmed up.

Last edited:
I had the same issue with my 231 (6-gear planetary) swapped behind my 545rfe in my WJ (now Elquapo's)-- it would not shift on the fly from 2-4hi consistently without grinding, and would shift to 4low only when in neutral. I know the internals were fine since I rebuilt the whole thing, so I assumed the same you are... that the auto tranny put enough load on it to make it unhappy.

I had the same issue with my 231 (6-gear planetary) swapped behind my 545rfe in my WJ (now Elquapo's)-- it would not shift on the fly from 2-4hi consistently without grinding, and would shift to 4low only when in neutral. I know the internals were fine since I rebuilt the whole thing, so I assumed the same you are... that the auto tranny put enough load on it to make it unhappy.

Yeah, I haven't really put any miles on it yet either so I may try that first. If it doesn't get any better I may just swap to a manual. Having to shut the motor off every time to shift between 4low/4hi would bring the ball suckage.

you can't slip it in neutral? that's what I always did on the WJ, no issues going that route.

Bryson, let me know if you decide to switch to a manual, I have a 2001 with a NV3550 that I want to switch to a automatic, maybe we could do some swapping.

Back