• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A Quick Fix for Saggy headliners

i tried staple gun it didn't work.

mine only sags really bad in humid weather, so its ok most of the time.

88xjchief said:
I just replaced the whole headliner with one from a 2000. It fits great and looks great in a 88.

Did you use new short visors to go with that 00 XJ headliner? If so, where did the new ones screw into?

Simple.

Use a sharp knife to cut the stitching. Unfold the visor. Peel off the old material and clean thoroughly like the headliner.

Lay it on the new material like a pattern and cut leaving about an inch excess. Then spray the adhesive on the material and the "outside" of the visor and and stick together.

Then spray the border including the inner visor material about an inch in. Fold the "flap" over and bond together. Don't spray the entire visor.

The spray one more time around the edge about an inch in. Mask off if you wish.

Then fold the visor back and bond the edges.

88XJSport said:
Did you use new short visors to go with that 00 XJ headliner? If so, where did the new ones screw into?

I used the original ones.

HPIM0300.jpg

Not the best pic. Im thinking about what to do with the dome lights.

Saudade said:
Simple.

Use a sharp knife to cut the stitching. Unfold the visor. Peel off the old material and clean thoroughly like the headliner.

Lay it on the new material like a pattern and cut leaving about an inch excess. Then spray the adhesive on the material and the "outside" of the visor and and stick together.

Then spray the border including the inner visor material about an inch in. Fold the "flap" over and bond together. Don't spray the entire visor.

The spray one more time around the edge about an inch in. Mask off if you wish.

Then fold the visor back and bond the edges.

Thanks. Pretty soon I'll have to do mine.

Ok. I was wanting to use new shorter sunvisors since i added an overhead console and needed to remove my visors due to them being too long. Thought you may have used new visors.

Thanks.

88XJSport said:
Ok. I was wanting to use new shorter sunvisors since i added an overhead console and needed to remove my visors due to them being too long. Thought you may have used new visors.

Thanks.

To make the shorter ones work you would have to drill a hole into the metal. Im going to put the small ones on if I can find a nice overhead console what will work with the sunroof.

88xjchief said:
To make the shorter ones work you would have to drill a hole into the metal. Im going to put the small ones on if I can find a nice overhead console what will work with the sunroof.

Drilling new holes wont go thru the roof?

88xjchief said:
Theres a renforcment bar there. You will have to be very carefull not to go into the roof.

The bar im imagining goes all the way across. The long visors are drilled into this bar correct? So as long as I make sure its perfectly horizontal from the old holes I should be Ok?

88XJSport said:
The bar im imagining goes all the way across. The long visors are drilled into this bar correct? So as long as I make sure its perfectly horizontal from the old holes I should be Ok?

Correct. Just make shure you dont drill into the roof.

is that sun roof stock? ive never seen one in an XJ before.

I have one in mine..... just not widely found

Back