• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

a minor set back!!!

$6800.00??? Sh*t, that is expensive, you could get another one thats not been in an accident for that much. What did they say is going to be so expensive? Must be a lot of labor then.

Well I'm glad that your happy that you will get your love back.

It does sound like alot. I'll be getting a break down of everything soon. I have full coverage so its not going to cost me that much. Just the $500 deductable which sould be refunded as soon as they find the other driver at fault.

$6800 and they did NOT total it? Wonder what they say is the value of that thing then....cause in most cases, if the value of the damage is 75% or more of the value of the vehicle it's totatled....atleast that's my understanding of it.

I'm assuming the other person's Insurance company is taking care of this, seeing as how the other person came across the center line and hit you.

You will be amazed at what a good body shop can do to fix an accident (as I should know) Check out the link in my sig and you'll see the pics from both of the accidents I was in.

When you get the copy of the estimate from the insurance adjuster, pay close attention to what they repair and what they replace. You'll be amazed as to what some bondo can do to body panels. For example, if you look at the pictures of mine, the ones on page 1 from accident one, compared to the ones on pages 2 and 3, which were taken several months after, take note that NONE of the body panels were replaced. They were all bent back and molded into shape with bondo. The shop I use does awesome work and really knows their ways with Jeeps. And nobody could tell what had happened to it.

My best advice to you, look over the estimate closely, and make sure it is to your satisfaction. Take LOTS of pictures of the damage from as many angles as you can, that way you have them for your records (the insurance adjuster will take their own pictures for their records as well). If you feel that everything meets your approval (and do NOT be afraid to quiz the insurance company on their write up, after all it is YOUR vehicle and you are entitled to know everything that is being done to it), go ahead and give the body shop the OK to begin repairs (which they cannot do untill they have approval from you). Then sit back (which I know it will be hard to do) and let the body shop guys do their thing.

Also make sure the insurance company is covering a rental, at no cost to you, for however long you are with out your Jeep. It should be something comperable to your Jeep (a couple of weeks ago when mine was in the shop we got a 4x4 Trailblazer to cruise in for two weeks). The only thing you'll have to pay for is gas in the rental. So if you don't mind driving a full size, you might consider getting one (such as a Taurus or an Impala) and benefit from some better MPG for a few weeks).

One other thing to consider, most times the insurance company will send the check directly to the body shop. The 2nd accident I had, I had the insurance company send me the check, and I signed it over to the body shop once I approved of the damages. This is something to consider also.

Some more advice to you is when you get the call to come pick it up (which you'll be just as excited as the day you first bought it, trust me...lol) have a friend bring you down there and then follow you around on the road before you get too far from the shop. Have him look for any signs of the front end being significantly out of alignment (i.e. dogtracking, where it looks like it's sliding through a corner), and make sure that front wheel is still good and not bent or wobbling. When I picked mine up from the first accident, the shop replaced the rim, but didn't think to check the hub on the left rear (where I got hit). My mom was following me home and called me a block away to say "your wheel looks like it's going to fall off". Brought it right back to the shop and put it up on the rack and sure enough the hub was bent. Of course, it had to sit the whole weekend as it was Friday and they couldn't get the part in untill Monday. It's hard to tell from your pictures if the person hit the wheel at all. Also make sure it is driving straight, and there are no unusual noises coming from the front end.

Sorry for the novel, but I thought i'd share my experiences seeing as how i've been involved in this mess twice in about one year's time.

You're more than welcome. I remember what it like my first time, having to go through all this crap, not knowing what to expect or how to handle it. I hope everything goes well for you, and do keep us updated.

If you have any more questions or I can be of any more help, feel free to ask me, or PM me.

At that price buy a new one anyway. Now you don't have to deal with the buyback and you can just trail that one and have a shiny semi new DD. Ive seen rigs locally @ dealerships with <100k on them for <$5k that gives you ~$1800 play money for the new DD or your bashed up trail rig

My son put his 00' in the ditch avoiding a rear ender with a Excursion, he did 3k of damage which i didn't put on his insurance, I just paid for the repair. I was told by the body shop manager that if it had been turned in it would most likely had been totaled. He had way less damage than you have. I'm amazed that yours was not totaled. The pic does not show the damage very well and there was a good bit of stuff bent underneath.

wadesjeephd6.th.jpg

Back