• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Public Service Announcement - SCAR Offroad is a ****ing hack!!

the_midwesterner

NAXJA Forum User
I wasn't originally going to do this, but I just cant keep from sharing this crap. SCAR Offroad is a ****ing hack and a god damn moron.

Backstory: I took a shot for getting this dude to do a hybrid cage for my jeep, after I had known this guy for a little bit and had seen a couple of things he had done. I walked into this knowing that he was kind of a moron, but figured if I gave him enough direction, I could hold him off from doing the typical mistakes. This was my fault..

So December 2015 rolls around and I drop off my Jeep at his shop with the request that he finish the Jeep by January 10th, after I had returned from vacation. So I dropped it off the first days of December and gave him a month, which we both agreed it was a reasonable amount of time. This is when the problems started. He didn't start working on it until the day before or after Christmas and my understanding was that he was bitching about it the whole time. So then he proceeds to work on it for the next couple of days, but I still counldn't pick it up till the 3rd week of january. Mind you, I had a 14 bolt that I still had to swap in and do a whole bunch more prep work, since the goal was to have it at KOH 2016.

From there, I LS swapped it and with all the extra power, I got to looking at the cage more and more. The more I looked at it, the more I hated it and realized that someone would get injured if I actually flopped it. Then I took it to Leadfoot Offroad in La Verne, CA and the tear down begun. The more they tore apart the cage, the more it pisses me off that the dude took so much money from me to get a ****ing shitty cage. Here are a couple of pictures of this dude's "work".

This is what we found when cut the vertical tube off. This was on both sides and was the basis for the most critical component of the entire cage, the B-pillar vertical supports.

After much hacking away and peeling that shit out, we found the following.

Basically, in this dudes forever lazyness, he did not peel off the dynamat type of material and then welded the base plate for the cage to actual sheet metal. Instead, he just barely welded the first plate and then fully welded another plate on top of it. This is the type of shit that kills people. If I didn't know a little bit about fab work and completely confided on this dude's hack job and put it on its lid, I am super confident my passengers and I would of been injured.

Take a look at the C-pillar. Let's not point the fact out that it has like 4 bends in it, which could potentially just cause it to buckle in a roll over. Now take a look at the non-existent base plate. This tube was welded directly to the sheet metal of the fender liner, the inner quarter panel sheet metal and had a small gusset welded to the pinch seam of the quarter panel.

Lastly, this is the type of fitment I got when I asked him to keep the cage tight to the body and follow the contour lines of the body. This was right before final welding and it somehow got even worse after we welded it.

Lastly, my jeep had a previous aftermarket sunroof put it in by a previous owner that I took out, so there was a hole in it that wasn't covered. I didn't know which direction I wanted to go, so I left it open. During our conversation, I told him the jeep needed to stay inside so that if it rained, no water would mess up my brand new seats or get my electronics wet. Low and behold, when I got my jeep back, there was 1" of standing water in it and my brand new corbeau's were stained. After I asked him about it, he denied that the jeep was ever out in the rain and it had only "sprinkled" on it. If you look at the pic above, its obvious the jeep is wet..... The worst part is that he sent me this pic and then lied about the jeep ever sitting outside in the rain.

Moral of the story: SCAR Offroad is a hack, so **** that guy! His name is Nick Baldwin and is someone who blatantly doesn't know what he is doing. The unfortunate part is that he has kids and they wheel with him in his shitty cages.

That's sucks, just looked at their Facebook page and it shows some tube notches with over 1/4" gap on the YJ build. Not what I would like on my rig. Hope they didn't burn the interior or get weld splatter/ pit your windows too.

Ah good point, I forgot about that. All windows, minus the front wing Windows had weld spatter all over them. Actually having to replace the windshield since it won't clean up enough for my liking.

Wow. Makes me feel better about my fab skills.

I hope you didn't pay him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dang. Good to know. They are right around the corner from my work. I've been thinking of dropping in to see if they could fab some stuff for my Tacoma. I'll skip them. lol

Thanks for the heads up.

Wow. Makes me feel better about my fab skills.

I hope you didn't pay him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unfortunately I did. Giant waste of $1600.......

Dang. Good to know. They are right around the corner from my work. I've been thinking of dropping in to see if they could fab some stuff for my Tacoma. I'll skip them. lol

Thanks for the heads up.

Yeah, skip on that. Go to Leadfoot Offroad in La Verne. Tell josh I sent you. His shop is the one doing my new cage and a whole bunch of other work for me. Check out my build thread to see his work.

Back