• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A Humboldt-Cherokee Blog.

Went for a cruise!
523f9078.jpg

ae85c1b9.jpg

06ac8c73.jpg

Wj's rock.

Yeah man, like 15 minutes up 299. You need to get a 4x4!

I cant go up to titlow hill alone!

Thanks man. That wj is seriously lightyears ahead in technology compared to my xj.

Your comment about the sand is definitely true. I have the Oceano Dunes minutes away, ad even if not mobbing in the dunes themselves just driving along the beach is awesome.

Looks like HPA Motorsports is gauging interest in a tdi swap for the xj. They did a dyno run, and the tuned tdi motor makes more power, and torque at a lower rpm than a stock 2011 jk, 3.8L.

That motor is crazy light,gets great mileage, and can be found easily. Im there. If they can do it on the tj, it can be done on the xj.

http://www.hpamotorsport.com/tdiconversions.htm

Thats awesome. I've heard great things about those motors. Sounds like a great swap!

those tdi swaps are cool.
but i can buy alot of gas for 16,000$ (cost of the swap according to them)
i mean if i put 5K a year on the Xj and get only 13.5 mpg at 4$ a gallon thats 1481$ in gas a year at current prices . i think i put like 3-5K a year on the Xj. at 3k a year it only 888$.
plus with a TDi swap you still have to buy gas, so say 22 mpg at 5k a year, 909
so i save roughly 500$ a year. thatd only take me 32 years if gas prices stayed constant ...

although, it goes to show if you could do TDI swap for say $2000 (not 16K), thatd only be a 4 year payback, itd more than pay for itself at that point.

I'd be worth it to me.

You can get the diy kit for about 3700 bucks. Source a motor for 1500 with the harness and everything, you're golden.

Besides, some say you can get over 30 mpg with a motor like that. (Im lower and on smaller tires than most of you) At 30+ mpg, you pretty much dont need a DD, and you can run bio diesel. Guys drop huge money on hemi swaps for jk's, I'd like a diesel xj. :)

I took a trip down to the bay area on tuesday, and came back today.

Of course, my jeep wasn't happy with itself, so the radiator decided to crack last night. It was leaking right at the seam of the side tank, and fast. It happened at 6:30 pm, and I was planning on leaving at 8 am this morning.

300 miles from home, with only my basic tools. I went to autozone and picked up a new radiator, the trans cooler line tool, and some coolant.

I swapped the rad in less than 2 hours with my dad. Pretty sweet.

After 15 minutes.
6d71169b.jpg

After an hour.
39c8ae4a.jpg

The new one. ($109, with a lifetime warranty, and this autozone one was way nicer than the Oreilly pos.)
f9d58869.jpg

And all done, 8 hours later, ready to go home.
cc17ae2f.jpg

Wouldn't you know it, 8 days after the radiator cracks, my alternator died. Haven't driven the xj in a week.

I ordered a new one on friday, (no one stocks it here) and it showed up saturday.
Idiots sent a 13906 box (correct) but the alt was a 15906. GAH!

They had to order a new one, and it should be here today. It's been hard getting to school without a car!

The cool thing is that I used to work there, so my friend who is now a manager is going to cut me a discount.

i woul be very thankful this sorta maintenence is happening before wheeling season in a big city and not out there on the trail . it will feel good to know a couple more wear parts are new and thats one less thing to worry about.

Yeah, I know.

However I just went to pick the damn thing up and it was crushed in transit.
3db09e99.jpg

The connector is ruined. And even worse, the stockton facility is out of stock, so it will come from socal, 2 days away.

REALLY bummed out.

Did that thing get run over by a forklift or something?

Did that thing get run over by a forklift or something?

I guess so. Realllllly lame on their part.

If I was smart I would have just gone to napa today, and ordered it. I'd have it tomorrow. However, if I wait until thursday, I am getting the alternator for 60 dollars less than anywhere else.

BigJake- Sounds good man. There isn't really any good wheeling around here though. We have scenery, but not a ton of wheeling.

There's a lot of private land around here, where people grow pot. I don't go near it.

Haha yeah.

In other news, I was thinking about trying out superchips programmer on the 91 octane tune. (we use it on the wj)

However, premium gas in my town just hit $4.50. hahaha

Got the new alt in, runs great.

I am also working on a dual 97+ e fan setup. Got all my parts, just need to fab the mount.

I was surprised, because I can cruise around town, and on the freeway no problem, without any fans at all. I did notice a small boost in power without the the clutch fan. My plan is just to wire both fans on separate switches, and I'll just control them from the cab. Eventually, when money allows, I'll setup a temp sensor.

User SDH281 on here pm'd me asking to show the trimming I've done, and I figured it'd be better to post it on my blog.

The rear-
Flare was trimmed on the inside, and then the body was re-drilled, 3/4 inch up. (Before the pinch seam bends up ward, so if I decide to do the cut n fold flareless thing, the holes will be gone.)
f842d80b.jpg

a9b79340.jpg

Rear portion was cut/folded to work with my bumper.
5f5daa65.jpg

The flare is flush with the curved section near the door.
4756c4ee.jpg

It is also bumpstopped. (One of the most important things.)
1 inch extended rubber stop, and 3/8ths plate welded to the u bolt plate
b9234716.jpg

35221361.jpg

It only hits when fully loaded, or when doing through sand dunes.

Back