• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C Bearing Replacement

Well, if I can get this complete compressor off ebay for $45-50 (same cost as just buying the bearing at Autozone), I can replace the clutch assembly and then sell the bare compressor like you said and hopefully come out only spending a few bucks. I think that's probably what I'll do.
How is yours going so far, thewrath?

well, crap, I was just outbid on the compressor on Ebay last second and it ended for $70 shipped. Still not a bad deal. Oh well. I guess I'll be going to autozone and just buying the bearing and hoping it's not my clutch assembly as well.

I thought any AC shop will vacuum it out for free. Then go back to get it recharged with oil it should cost alot, 50-80 bucks. Or just press the schrader valve and let all the refrigerant escape in a well vented place. Then, recharge with a few cans w/ oil.

ok i have pictures. here they are.

IMGP2229.JPG

IMGP2230.JPG

IMGP2233.JPG

IMGP2236.JPG

so in summary, getting the old pulley off was a PTIA. puller i had sucked, took an hour and some creative tool application. eventually the already shredded bearing released a few more of its balls (with the help of the green mallet) and and the inner and outer race separated. then the pulley popped off no problem. then just pulled off the inner race. mag coil came off no problem, then just cleaned it all up and began reinstalling.

to reinstall

install new coil aligning the nub on the back of the coil with the hole on the front of the compressor, tie down the wire with new screw and retainer, install snap ring holding on coil.

press bearing/pulley assembly onto compressor using old bearing. dont want to push on face of pulley because its the clutch surface and that would put pressure on the bearing in a manner in which it was not designed. then reinstall snap ring to retain pulley.

reinstall spacer of same size that was removed and then slide on the splined clutch thing. use washer and new nylock nut. torque to 20-25lbs

remount compressor, connect high side pressure switch, field coil wire, reinstall new acc belt, tighten, and test.

ran great, but a/c clutch still wont engage. although it didnt before and im 99.99% sure the system doesnt have enough pressure in it to engage the clutch. next step is to go get a/c recharged next spring

Back