• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C and Cruise not working

XJ92jeep

NAXJA Forum User
Both my A/C and cruise control stopped working at the same time. No fuses were blown and the relay is working. About 4 hours later the maintenance required light comes on. I went and talked to a guy at a shop and he told me it is most likely the fuse block and that I could jump across the relay to get the compressor clutch to work. I did it and now I have A/C sometimes but the aux fan doesn't come on with the compressor. I guess my question is do you think it’s the fuse block or is it something else? If it is the fuse block where can I find one?

Oh yeah it’s a '92

Thanks in advance,
Dave

Does the air come out of the vents when you switch the ac on? Or does it just blow up in the windshield area (defrost)? If it only blows up then check for vacuum leaks. Especially the vacuum canister.

K

Last edited:
Check your ECU codes, a bad coolent sensor will disable cruse and A/C because those things are disabled until your engine is up to tempature. Your gauge uses a different sensor than the ECU so it could still work.

langer1 said:
Check your ECU codes, a bad coolent sensor will disable cruse and A/C because those things are disabled until your engine is up to tempature. Your gauge uses a different sensor than the ECU so it could still work.

I tried to have them read but the parts stores either don't have a code reader or they are only doing OBDII now.

XJ92jeep said:
I tried to have them read but the parts stores either don't have a code reader or they are only doing OBDII now.
OBDII should also read OBDI but just by your own reader or use the key, off on, off on, off on within three seconds to get the codes. Your check engine light will flash the codes.
Try this and see if you don't get a code 22. http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoECUcodes.htm

Last edited:
Ok so I got the codes.

Air Switch Solenoid circuit
A/C Clutch Relay
Coolent Sensor

Now I know the Relay is good. I jumped across the coolent sensor wires and the aux fan didn't come on. I have no idea what the Air Switch Solenoid is?? I am thinking the guy might be right about the fuse block because if when I jumped the temp sensor the fan didn't come on than whouldn't that mean its not getting the signal? The fan does work I had to manually bypass it but I would like to figure this mess out.

I thank you for the help that code thing is great.

Last edited:
Ok re-read my post. The "coolent sensor" is not a switch, it also has nothing to do with the fan. I reads the engine temperture for your computer. If the computer thinks the engine is still cold it will not allow Cruse or A/C to come on. The other two errors are because the "coolent sensor" is not allowing them to come on.

langer1 said:
Ok re-read my post. The "coolent sensor" is not a switch, it also has nothing to do with the fan. I reads the engine temperture for your computer. If the computer thinks the engine is still cold it will not allow Cruse or A/C to come on. The other two errors are because the "coolent sensor" is not allowing them to come on.

Ok sorry I must have skipped that part. Now we are talking about the sensor in the thermostat housing right? If it is I guess ill go try to pick one up and see if that fixes it. Thanks again for your help.

XJ92jeep said:
Ok sorry I must have skipped that part. Now we are talking about the sensor in the thermostat housing right? If it is I guess ill go try to pick one up and see if that fixes it. Thanks again for your help.
I will check on that,I'm not sure. There's one for your gauge and one for the computer. Ones in the head and one's in the t-stat housing. FYI the fan switch is down on the radiator.

langer1 said:
I will check on that,I'm not sure. There's one for your gauge and one for the computer. Ones in the head and one's in the t-stat housing. FYI the fan switch is down on the radiator.
The one on the tstat housing is for the computer. The one on the back of the head is for the gauge.
Your 92 doesn't have a fan switch on the rad. That is for pre OBDI vehicles with the closed cooling system.

K

Is there any way to trick that sensor into thinking that its hot to see if I can get the A/C to work without the jumper? I dont want to buy the sensor if it really is something worse. Thanks again.

Cruise not working

I have a familiar situation, my cruise control does not work, It was working fine and just stopped.
I check the fusses, all ok.
AC works grear, other that I do have some vacum issues, but that's another thing to work on.
any ideas would be greatfully accepted.

89 XJ limited, 230K

Back