• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 xj help. No start

newjeepowner

NAXJA Forum User
When I was pulling into my sub earlier the check engine light went on. Pulled in front if my house. It did not act any different when the light went on.3 hours later it won't start. It cranks but won't fire up. I squirted a little starting spray down the throttle body. Still will not start. Does not any different with the spray. Looks like I have a spark problem. What do you think happened? What do I need to replace?

you need to search ... this has been covered a million times and you will find the diagnostic steps to take to figure out what's up.

This jeep does not have a CPS.

There is some confusion as the factory service manual abbreviates CPS to mean the sensor in the distributor, but most folks use CPS to mean the crank sensor. You are mistaken in your comment above. Your Jeep does indeed have both a Crank Position Sensor (CKPS) and a Camshaft Position Sensor (CPS).

There is some confusion as the factory service manual abbreviates CPS to mean the sensor in the distributor, but most folks use CPS to mean the crank sensor. You are mistaken in your comment above. Your Jeep does indeed have both a Crank Position Sensor (CKPS) and a Camshaft Position Sensor (CPS).

and if either one is faulty it will cause a no spark

Official FMS terminology (at least in 2000 FSM) CKP and CMP. Again, check for spark. I think some '99s had the coil rail distributor(cap)less ignition. Do you have the plug wires or the coil rail?

Well did the scan tool. Confirmed it was the CPS. Changed CPS and unplugged battery to reset check engine light. Vehicle will still not start. just keeps cranking.

Last edited:
Back