• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 xj header option

california1999

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so I have got a cracked header and need to replace it, but should I just get a stock oem from rock auto? I have read that the apn header will not always work on a 99 and requires a lot of grinding. I plan on selling the jeep this year so is it really worth the extra work over a direct bolt on oem.

The APN works great. I have put an APN on both a 98 and a 99. It took a total of about 30-45 seconds of grinding on the soft aluminum intake to make them fit together. All I had to do was knock down a few high spots in the casting.

APN went right on my '99. Well, once I got it seated right... No grinding though.

Ok sorry to ask such a dumb question but what is it that people are grinding, will it be obvious when I go to install it? I heard some people had to take it off several times before they got it.

Not looking forward to the install, but I think I'm going to have to get a replacement header soon also. Definitely sounds like a big exhaust leak coming from the header/downpipe joint, I just can't place it yet. Probably in the collector like most people have.

Mate them both together on the garage floor. If any grinding needs to be done I would grind on the intake manifold. Grind any rough casting areas that interfere (red circles). DO NOT grind on the smooth machined surfaces (white lines).

standard.jpg

Exactly. Do not grind on the smooth sealing surfaces.

Back