• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99-up 4.0 intake

mecompco said:
I have a '99 intake in hand which I want to install in my '94 (I will be doing TB bore and full Dynomax exhaust at the same time). You acknowledge in your write-up that a LHD will have a different set up than your RHD Jeep. Have you (or anyone here) done (or seen done) the swap into a 'pre 97 LHD and simply modded the PS pump bracket? Thanks!

Michael

That's how I did mine. A little grinding on the PS bracket, a short piece of angle and done.

Dr. Dyno said:
Yes, I do Aaron. Can you scan them and post them in this thread?
2X, I remember the thread on the 26 hp gain. To many holes in it. I would like to see a list of any mods made from stock on the engine. I would have though a bit more HP gain on a stroker. More like 5-10 hp. Maybe 10-15 hp gain with everything optimized. I have been on a few of these threads. I have even heard of one guy loosing (butt) HP and a few MPG.
Tom

I have a 97 ZJ4.0, and I only to had drill one hole it the bracket right ynder the intake manifold, b/c the one thaas there had two holes but I only neede one, Hope that helps. JOE>

mecompco said:
Aaron, are you using a '97 + PS pump and bracket, or did you mod your '91 bracket? In addition to the intake/exhaust mods, I'm also working on swapping in an 8.8 w/4.10s, though I'll be running 31s. I've got an ARB for the D30 in hand, and plan to run a full Detroit in the 8.8.

I pulled the entire pump and bracket off a 96 XJ that was being stripped and it was the same bracket and pump that works with the newer style manifold. I got it free so I wasnt complaining. I have a manual tranny so the 4.10s worked out perfect with the 33s and do alright with the 35s. I wish I had 4.56 or 4.88s with the 35s when crawling in low range in the rocks. I have no problems smoking them up with the stroker though :D

Dino, I have to find the dyno sheets. They are on my other computer, I should be able to get them in a day or two. I thougth I posted the results over on JU speed freaks right before summer started? Thread get lost or did I never get around to getting it posted?

AARON

MrShoeBoy said:
I pulled the entire pump and bracket off a 96 XJ that was being stripped and it was the same bracket and pump that works with the newer style manifold.

AARON

That's good news for me and my 96. You are basically saying that it is a bolt on on the 96.
I thought they changed the bracket in 97.

MrShoeBoy said:
Dino, I have to find the dyno sheets. They are on my other computer, I should be able to get them in a day or two. I thougth I posted the results over on JU speed freaks right before summer started? Thread get lost or did I never get around to getting it posted?

Maybe you didn't get around to posting them 'cause I was avidly following that thread.

Hahaha I will have them today sometime.

AARON

I cant find my newest dyno sheets done with the 99+ intake. I will contact my friend at the shop and see if he still has them in the computer. Sorry to disapoint.

AARON

i have a question? What is the difference in the 97 intake opposed to the 99 intake? I thought 97-01 were same?

Thanks,
Silent

Silent said:
i have a question? What is the difference in the 97 intake opposed to the 99 intake? I thought 97-01 were same?

Thanks,
Silent
In 99, they changed to a design with nice smooth curves that improved the airflow.

Silent said:
So, I guess I should ditch my 97 and get a 99?

Silent

If you want better performance. But I would highly suggest buying headers at the same time as your 99 intake because you have to take the intake off to put on headers.

Kill two birds with one stone, ya know what I mean?

I did this swap on my 91. Used the 91 injectors, fuel rail, and TB. And the original (well AGR) 91 PS pump. I did swap on the 99+ brackets.

However you can reuse a couple parts. If you reroute the belt like the 99+ you can remove the idler from the original location and reuse it on the newer brackets. Also the small "knuckle" that the adjuster bolt hooks to is reusable too. both spacers from the idler pulley will be reused as well. if you do it this way you will only have to buy the 99+ bracket, and a couple bolts. I reused the 91 PS pulley but I'd recommend the 99+ pulley cause it has the holes to access the 3 bolts that hold the PS pump on.

Hope that helped with the swap.

As far as the power, I already had a Borla header installed. So the only thing i did was swap the intake. The Butt dyno didn't measure any dramatic power increases, i think i actually got more power from the K&N sticker. HOWEVER the throttle response was improved alot. and the torque range seemed to change. I can't say the power/mileage gains are worth it but the driveability is.

Course i could be bias too (i traded a kenwood stereo for the new manifold to the dealership parts manager) but the price was right.

Dingo

Im new to this site, and new to engine work for the most part. i have a general grasp on the basics of the way an engine works. my question is will an 99+ intake manifold bolt directly onto a 97 block, will all the 97 parts, or will i have to modify any of the vacuum lines or power steering brackets(i have seen pictures of the 99 intake, i think it has the same mounting for the power steering pump as the 97) and use a 99+ fuel rail?

it should be a direct swap with your 97, you can still use the original fuel railand injectors. I don't think you have anything to swap at all other than the manifold.

hope that helps

Dingo

After a long day of why did i just do that, i finally got it in. The new manifold needed to be grinded to make even contact onto the head, thank you very much exhaust headers... One of the vacuum hoses wasnt a direct fit, but with a little bit of pushing down harder it is. The only problem i have now is the MAP sensor is directly below the air intake tube. Ive read up on relocating it to the air intake tube, but ive also read that performing this will make the engine run rich. Would i be running lean enough to do this if I have a air intake the new manifold and a unrestrictive exhaust system?

So I can just run to the Junk yard, pull a 99+ manifold and come home and bolt it up to my 96?

I dont need a 99+ Throttle Body, fuel rail or Injectors?

I realize Ill need to do some fabbing for the PS bracket, thats not a problem.

I tried finding a write up and found Go-jeeps I just like to over-search everything :)

Thanks guys.

Plays For Jeeps said:
So I can just run to the Junk yard, pull a 99+ manifold and come home and bolt it up to my 96?

I dont need a 99+ Throttle Body, fuel rail or Injectors?

I realize Ill need to do some fabbing for the PS bracket, thats not a problem.

I tried finding a write up and found Go-jeeps I just like to over-search everything :)

Thanks guys.

Depends..... what PS bracket do you have? does it have an idler under the PS pump? If it does then shouldn't need anything else. I can't remember what year the fuel pressure regulator moved to the tank but my 91 fuel rail with the regulator on the rail fit fine.

So basically if you have the newer PS bracket, and the pressure regulator in the tank, then yes it should be a direct swap!

Dingo

Damn, Im still at work from 2:30pm yesterday lol. Ill snap some pics of my engine bay on my break and let you guys tell me what I have :)

Anyone want to give me their email so I can send those pics? I cant get to photobucket from work. Stupid firewall.

Back