• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99-up 4.0 intake

I couldn't find a newer manifold for less than $250 when I was in Saudi and over here, I can't find one at all. Even from e-bay, they're costing over $150 so with shipping, it would again come to over $250.
If I can get one cheap over here somehow I'll do the swap, except that I'll also need the '97+ XJ PS pump & mounting bracket so these will add to the cost. My XJ is a '92.

Dr. Dyno said:
I couldn't find a newer manifold for less than $250 when I was in Saudi and over here, I can't find one at all. Even from e-bay, they're costing over $150 so with shipping, it would again come to over $250.
If I can get one cheap over here somehow I'll do the swap, except that I'll also need the '97+ XJ PS pump & mounting bracket so these will add to the cost. My XJ is a '92.

Well I have no clue where you r but I know where you can get one for bout 160 bucks.. It still might be high for you but I thought it was good and I plan on adding this intake to my jeep today, let you know how it turns out, but let me add I am also doing a Banks TT at the same time. So i guess that ruins the trial, but I did not wan do one and then the other I am trying to kill birds with 1 stone. Let me know if you want the info on where to find the intake. JOE>

Dr. Dyno said:

My understanding is that the injectors and fuel pump need to be 99+ also.
The 99+ pump I think is a pain and don't even know if it will fit earlier XJs.
The main reason I didn't upgrade my 96 is that I think my son will sooner or later get the hots for something sportier, in which case, I'll sell the 96 and use my 99 he is driving now.

falcon556 said:
The 99+ pump I think is a pain and don't even know if it will fit earlier XJs.
The main reason I didn't upgrade my 96 is that I think my son will sooner or later get the hots for something sportier, in which case, I'll sell the 96 and use my 99 he is driving now.

No, that is not right. You can like I show in the write up just use your old fuel rail so no pump change needed. The old injectors can be used also and would save you swapping injector plugs or have them zip tied on. www.go.jeep-xj.info

Also saw a dyno report done with only slighly lower numbers before and after a intake change without a single other modifaction on a Jeep Speed Racer many years ago.

falcon556 said:

If you have a '96 or earlier XJ, you need to get the '97+ PS pump & mounting bracket to go with the newer manifold. This adds to the cost of the whole swap so for some guys, it isn't worth it (unless your old PS pump is on the way out and you need to replace it anyway).

I have just finished my install on this, I put the 99+ intake on a 97 ZJ 4.0, as well as the BanksTT, they worked really well, The only thing I have noticed is it runs just a touch hotter(not over heating or even close to being a problem) it just runs a bit hotter, smoother accel, and better drivability. I would say if you r interested in it and want a smoother running engine, this is good. Just wanted to share what I feel now that I have it done and I am driving it. Good luck... JOE>

P.S. None of the vac lines or brackets gave me any probs(had to drill one hole in the bracket under the intake)...

Dr. Dyno said:
If you have a '96 or earlier XJ, you need to get the '97+ PS pump & mounting bracket to go with the newer manifold. This adds to the cost of the whole swap so for some guys, it isn't worth it (unless your old PS pump is on the way out and you need to replace it anyway).

I never had to change my pump and just modified the old bracket as well so no extra cost?

Gojeep said:
I never had to change my pump and just modified the old bracket as well so no extra cost?

I have a '99 intake in hand which I want to install in my '94 (I will be doing TB bore and full Dynomax exhaust at the same time). You acknowledge in your write-up that a LHD will have a different set up than your RHD Jeep. Have you (or anyone here) done (or seen done) the swap into a 'pre 97 LHD and simply modded the PS pump bracket? Thanks!

Michael

I did this on my XJ with a 4.6L stroker and on the dyno gained 5hp and 7ftlbs of torque. I have the old and new dyno sheets somewhere if anybody wants to see, it will just take some time finding them. My ass dyno says that it helped a little in the power department between 2500 to 3500rpm and it ran smoother overall. The biggest gain was the increase in gas mileage. I picked up 2mpg after installing the intake so that made it worth it to me.

AARON

Ok I'll bite, On a stroker your pulling more air because of simple displacement, so of course this mod gives you a little hp and torque. On a relitively warmed over 4.0 I don't think you would even get the 5hp. Theres only so much air each cylinder can suck for each RPM. In my opinion the stock 4.0 intake gives it as much as it can take, without it being forced, (turbo or supercharged) Now if you could make the air a lot denser with a manifold swap now that would get you some real HP numbers. Just my opinion,, YMMV...
I have a port matched,enlarged valves and polished renix head on my '88, I did the head work because that was where the real slow down was with the air intake in my opinion. I had access to a flow bench and dyno and didn't take advantage of it cus it didn't mean much to me, Just wanted to get it done and back on the road, this winter when I build my renix stroker, I am going to use the head, intake,(extrude honed) and stock TB bored to 59.5. and I will get some flow numbers on how much capacity a 4.6 takes in with that set up and if I need to go more...

Aaron, are you using a '97 + PS pump and bracket, or did you mod your '91 bracket? In addition to the intake/exhaust mods, I'm also working on swapping in an 8.8 w/4.10s, though I'll be running 31s. I've got an ARB for the D30 in hand, and plan to run a full Detroit in the 8.8.

mecompco said:
I have a '99 intake in hand which I want to install in my '94. You acknowledge in your write-up that a LHD will have a different set up than your RHD Jeep. Have you (or anyone here) done (or seen done) the swap into a 'pre 97 LHD and simply modded the PS pump bracket? Thanks!

Michael

X2

It is going back a few years but someone had posted that they had managed to make it work with custom brackets with the old pump. But if you look at the write up here that I link to from my site, http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6355 he did swap over to the newer style pump and brackets but was on a Grand so dont know if they are different?

MrShoeBoy said:
I did this on my XJ with a 4.6L stroker and on the dyno gained 5hp and 7ftlbs of torque. I have the old and new dyno sheets somewhere if anybody wants to see

Yes, I do Aaron. Can you scan them and post them in this thread?

mecompco said:
I have a '99 intake in hand which I want to install in my '94 (I will be doing TB bore and full Dynomax exhaust at the same time). You acknowledge in your write-up that a LHD will have a different set up than your RHD Jeep. Have you (or anyone here) done (or seen done) the swap into a 'pre 97 LHD and simply modded the PS pump bracket? Thanks!

Michael

Well I read this one to get mine installed, hope it helps. http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoIntakeManifold1.htm

Good Luck. JOE>

sloppyjoe said:
Well I read this one to get mine installed, hope it helps. http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoIntakeManifold1.htm

Good Luck. JOE>

Yup, got that one, and the mallcrawlin' one. The first is an install on a RHD XJ, which is different than our US ones. The second replaced the PS pump, bracket, idler pulley and serp w/post '96 ones.

My question is, specifically, can the new intake be installed simply by modding the pre' 96 PS pump bracket.

mecompco said:
Yup, got that one, and the mallcrawlin' one. The first is an install on a RHD XJ, which is different than our US ones. The second replaced the PS pump, bracket, idler pulley and serp w/post '96 ones.

My question is, specifically, can the new intake be installed simply by modding the pre' 96 PS pump bracket.

I do know of two that did mod or make their own brackets to make the old pump work on a 91 I think it was.

Back