• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 Street XJ Addons

i have the chrome grill and headlight inserts on my white 98 and im happy with em dont have any pics tho but it stands out cuz not many xjs have em mine were 27 for the grill and i think 27 a piece for the headlights they are plastic tho there about 4 years old now and are starting to look it ive gotten seawater on em from beach driving and it stains them a little plus if you dont have a garage and it rains on em that stains em too acid rain ya kno but their still ok from a distance and at that price you can afford to replace them every 5 years and sell your old ones for 20 or 30 bucks i doubt if anyone makes metal replacements i would think they would be too costly and if you get in a fender bender youll think damn should have just gotten the cheap ones and about the cold air intake many times ive read on here noo differance in performance so save your money same with a performance chip no diff ...later...sorry for no punctuation im not a big fan of it it takes me long enough to type as it is just this took like 10 min maybe a little less

So no cold air. Should I at least put a heat shield or modify my box, dif filter, or tubing?

Also your saying that nice chrome grille on the Jeep up there is plastic? Wow. I thought they made 'em steel. I know the stock ones are plastic but I thought they made a steel one. By the way those chrome grill and lights shine I don't see how they could be plastic they shine just like my fully steel chrome rims. See I don't want the inserts the "snap on" ones. I want the full grill like here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-CHROME-GRILLE-97-98-99-00-01-JEEP-CHEROKEE-GRILL_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33645QQihZ013QQitemZ230213435216QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

and here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GRILLE-jeep-CHEROKEE-97-01-grill-ALL-CHROME-00-99-98_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33645QQihZ015QQitemZ250208585775QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

If both of those are really just plastic that sucks really makes me less interested in buying them. Though they do look sick when their on, just was hoping for a steel not plastic grille.

K 1 more q for u guys. I had my liftgate replaced and painted a while back. Noticed the other day my rear windsheild washer doesn't spray. The front ones work fine and there's plenty of washer fluid added. When I press the back one I do hear the motor run so the motor is fine. I'm guessing maybe a bit of paint spray could've got in there and clogged the line? Any suggestion on a good method of unclogging? Hopefully they reconnected it right and it's not squirting out somewhere in the door. I'm sure the shop that put the new gate and painted it did though. Nozzle is probably clogged. Good method to unclog it? Rarely do I ever use the back one anyway so that's why I didn't go back to the shop and complain they did such a nice job on painting otherwise.

Thanks again guys for all your help. Your really have a friendly group of people around here it's much appreciated.

Last edited:
I wouldnt write off cold air so quickly. Some guys say you can drill two 2" holes in the stock box and it works just as good, but i went with a cheap ebay version and tried to be skeptical with the results. I still felt an increase in hp and torque. My guess is the shape of the stock box and tubing do not encourage good air flow. I got mine for 50 bucks and im sure you could make your own for cheaper. But yes a major part of cold air is....colder air, and not engine heated air. Try a heat shield around the filter with some smoother shaped tubing, and take off the little plastic plate behind the light to actually get the outside air into the engine.

The headlight bezels are the parts that snap onto the grill itself. If your looking into chrome I would see how much it will be to chrome plate the grill you have on now. it might be cheaper than buying a whole new piece.

Try paint thinner and a needle or toothpick for the rear window washer.

Last edited:
Thanks Sean! I wouldn't know where to start for "chrome plating". http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1993-2001-Jeep-Cherokee-Sport-Chrome-Grille-Grill-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33645QQihZ009QQitemZ190191817208QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW#ebayphotohosting

I found those but again their like chrome platic clips that snap on your existing grille. Plus those are more expensive than just outright buying the other 2 grilles I showcased earlier. Is that all they make are plastic inserts for your existing ones? Also for the full grilles that are already chrome finished too? They make no steel ones? Other trucks I see have steel ones... I'd hope somebody somewhere makes steel ones for the XJ. When I say steel I mean alloy. Can be steel or aluminum depending if you want light or heavy. My rims are pure steel alloy and not covers. I'd just like it to match. Cause I may go with a chrome exhaust of course. Chrome out the whole ride. That's why I wasn't sure bout the grille thing but the tires, grille, headlamps, and tail pipe shouldn't be overdoing it. Maybe OD would be chroming the side door bumper things by raplacing them with chrome ones lol...

Last edited:
Yes, all of those Chrome peices are plastic. They never made a steel version. The OEM parts are quality though, and keep their shine if you take care of them. So plastic really isn't an issue. That specific XJ is a Limited, so it came with those Chrome peices from the factory, they weren't added on. As far as the 20's go, I do think they look a little goofy on a stock or lowered XJ. They just weren't made to look good with a wheel that big. If you are gonna stay stock, I say 17s or 18s. I used to have a picture, though I can't find it anymore. Of a very simliar black XJ that was on some Foose 20s, but lifted with 32s, and it looked damn nice.

I put my 18" pix up when I borrow a cam. They look nice.

Lastly I've noticed a prob during the last few weeks. My front wheels are squeaking in drive while they rotate. Like each single rotation yields 1 squeak. I think its just the front left one but what is weird is when I step on the break, turn, or steer the noise stops. It seems to be merely when I'm going straight and coasting or stepping on the gas. Any ideas? Brake pads are good there is a bit of break dust though that I could clean off maybe that's the problem? Though it doesn't squeak when I break, steer, or turn like I said before. Something on the axle maybe? Maybe something needs lubricated.

Hey '91 Jeep proj: Sorry you lost your Dad. I know how it feels I lost mine last year as well and my grandfather. My Dad was young just like yours. It was cancer, took him in less than 6 months. Grandpa was a stroke but he was upwards in his 80s, he lived a good life. Both lived a fantastic life. Just one was cut too short. Miss them both everyday for sure. Think about them a lot. :)

Thanks for your input about the grille. Ebay seems to have some nicely priced ones for the grille and headlamps. Would you suggest going with the full on grille or going with those snap on pieces? I think the full on would look better. I don't want the fully chrome one I still want the slits to be black of course just the ouline being chromed around the 7 main verticle rectangular slots.

How brightly do those reflect too? I live in a very sunny state so in the summer if I'm sitting behind a car and I see my grille reflection I don't want the sun to then bounce off of it and blind me lol. Though it would prob be more trouble for oncoming. I'm sure though it's not a problem. Other newer Jeeps I've noticed /w the grilles seem to shine nicely in the sun and don't cause a harsh reflection on your eyes when they pass you.

I like whoever posted those HID lights for their Jeep. Any recommendations on updated lamps like LED, HID, or Xenon?

I always thought I had ABS on my vehicle. Apparently I don't think I do because the ABS light never comes on during startup or ever like it's supposed to flash and do a test for a few secs. Though it's never locked up on me when I've had to slam on my breaks I've still been rolling fine and been able to steer and manuver to change lanes quick if I had to. Guess I always just assumed I did. Or maybe the bulb burned out on the dash. Could've sworn it used to light up maybe not though. Manual doesn't help of course just basically says you may or may not have it. LOL

Only things mine doesn't have is ABS (possibly), 4WD, Heated Seats, Fog Lamps, Sentry Key, Running Boards (though I dont think I've even seen one with Running Boards), and Cruise Control. Which all that stuff I don't need or would ever use really. Sure the ABS would help same with 4WD but It's still a great Jeep! It's automatic and has all the other options. :)

BTW why would you do this to a perfectly good XJ: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mFoQtpsVQA&feature=related

I would've taken it and had 2. :) Or could've used it for parts and stuff at least.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5OcPaSuhoE

Sweet jump but he bent his front axle and was still making payments on the Jeep lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CeuA6MuedA

That guy goes nuts in the snow with his, plowing through huge snow banks and stuff.

Last edited:
Back