• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 XJ - 4.56 gear upgrade and 33" - breaking everything

were they factory original joints? or replacements? use good u-joints like spicer or other good non-servicable joints...

Replaced 2 years ago. Don't recall WHY I replaced them, but they weren't borked yet. No idea what I replaced them with as I wasn't wheeling much at the time.

Just ordered a bunch of new Jeep rations. A pile of Spicer 5-760X joints, two 5-153x, yukon d44 yoke (ubolt style), a handful of ubolts, etc.

Still not sure if I'm goona upgrade the shafts to chromo. really depends on input regarding "what breaks once I've upgraded to chromo shafts" :)

Ordered chromo shafts after some more research. Looks like my old shafts are going to be sketchy at best. I'll keep them as trail spares and just tow them along.

Next, ya know those bolts on the leaf pack, about 3/4 the way to each end... Brain fart just finally left me and I suspect that my rear ds u-joint popped due to axle wrap, and the axle probably wrapped because I didn't put those bolts back in. Does this sound about right?

Carquest actually sells the yoke ubolts. I believe the PN is 260-0121. I can confirm this when I work next.
If your yoke is fine, all you need to do is drill out the threads and use the ubolt/nuts.

Carquest actually sells the yoke ubolts. I believe the PN is 260-0121. I can confirm this when I work next.
If your yoke is fine, all you need to do is drill out the threads and use the ubolt/nuts.

New yoke and ubolts already ordered. The old one has a big chip out of it and I looked at the difference in thickness after drilling out the stock yoke, and it's just not as beefy as ordering a well made ubolt yoke.

Chromo shafts (inner and stubs, with lifetime warranty - no questions for the first replacement, and if you need a second set and they really don't believe it's their fault, they refund you), 2x Spicer 5-760x, two sets of ubolts, new ubolt type yoke from Yukon, outer axle seals for the D30 (just cause I hate trying to get the shafts in without introducing mud), 3x Spicer 5-135x joints, 4 pinion nuts, a backpack and an MC for the girls Civic, for under $850 (shipped). Goddamn the US is messed up but I sure do enjoy shoppin' in 'Merica. :)
Priced everything out here, comes to over $4200 and wouldn't all be at my door for about 2 months. oooohhh Caaaannadaaaaaa..

having spare joints is good, ive given a few away on the trail to people in need. but keep in mind that when a Ujoint goes, thats not typically the end of the story. spitting a cap in an axle shaft can result in bent/broken ears or even popping ball joints if you dont catch it fast enough. same for the drive shaft... a joint isnt going to do you any good if your shaft is destroyed. spare shafts ready to rock are your friend. i prefer to have mine already bolted to a unit bearing, no changing joints on the trail... your out there to have fun, not drop needles in the dirt.

if its just a "day trip," then drive like its a day trip.

Last edited:
Back