• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'98 XJ 2WD to 4X4 conversion: AW-4 wiring issue

halmca

NAXJA Forum User
Converting '98 XJ 2wd to 4X4. Most stuff done, but I have hit a snag.

Picture the wiring harness that connects to the three solenoids in the valve body: It runs from inside the transmission to a connector just ahead of the firewall. I have a harness that came with the 4x4 transmission I bought, as well as a harness that came with the 2wd car. The 2wd connector, of course, fits the harness that is in the car. The 4x4 connector doesn't.

The XJ is a '98 and the transmission I bought was represented to me as a '98.

I am tempted to drop the pan on the 'new' transmission, unplug it's harness, plug in the 2wd harness -- connect it up at the firewall -- and see what happens.

Any advice or counsel much appreciated.

I mean it should work. I have an 01 tranny in my 95. I had to cut and splice because the plug was different but it functions the same. In fact you may want to cut and splice on the outside like I did. Those wires and plugs in the tranny were way to brittle to mess with. But also a 98 should work in a 98 so...

I mean it should work. I have an 01 tranny in my 95. I had to cut and splice because the plug was different but it functions the same. In fact you may want to cut and splice on the outside like I did. Those wires and plugs in the tranny were way to brittle to mess with. But also a 98 should work in a 98 so...
That's very helpful. I think I will cut and splice. Sure wish I had noticed the difference in plugs when I had everything on the shop floor.

re your '01 trans in your '95 were you swapping 4X4's or were you converting 2X to 4X4?

Anyhow, thanks for your on point answer.

If it was truly a '00-01 how did you fix the output speed sensor?

No, it was just the cheapest one available, 4x4 to 4x4. I did the speed sensor by removing the tail housing and changing the reluctor wheel and re using my old tail housing. Easy peasy.

This is one of my concerns in my conversion. The 2wd transmission sports what I think is a four lobed reluctor ring that fits on the output shaft just forward of the speedo drive. The sensor that senses the rotation of the reluctor fits into the transmission housing.

How is that signal (from the sensor) picked up on the 4x4 transmission -- where is the reulctor ring?

This is one of my concerns in my conversion. The 2wd transmission sports what I think is a four lobed reluctor ring that fits on the output shaft just forward of the speedo drive. The sensor that senses the rotation of the reluctor fits into the transmission housing.

How is that signal (from the sensor) picked up on the 4x4 transmission -- where is the reulctor ring?

EDIT!!! "The sensor that senses the rotation of the reluctor fits into the EXTENSION housing.

Back