• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

93 4.0 to a 96 Swap?

saybye

NAXJA Forum User
A guy has a wrecked 93 here and I've got a 96 I bought with a blown head gasket, after getting the head off piston 2 is trash. Can I swap that 93 motor to my 96? Harness's and everything still the same?

The engines themselves should interchange. You will probably have to move the sensors from the 96 engine to the 93. Otherwise it should be a straight swap. I am/was planning to swap an 01 engine into my 88. That swap is a little more challenging due to the throttle body issues the Renix has (you have to use the intake and all from the 88 on the 01).

Wiring for the CPS remained 3 wires throughout the years. 87-90 91-92 93-95 and 96+ have different connectors. As long as he can splice solder and heat shrink them it should be good. But I don't have in different year engine swap first hand knowledge. You can always get a new or reconditioned 96 head and put it on the block of the 93 then no need to swap any of the connections/sensors on top of the head.

93 should still have the map on the firewall. 96 on the TB etc

Wiring for the CPS remained 3 wires throughout the years. 87-90 91-92 93-95 and 96+ have different connectors. As long as he can splice solder and heat shrink them it should be good. But I don't have in different year engine swap first hand knowledge. You can always get a new or reconditioned 96 head and put it on the block of the 93 then no need to swap any of the connections/sensors on top of the head.

93 should still have the map on the firewall. 96 on the TB etc

The issue with the cps is not whether it will plug in, it's that it has to send the correct signal to the cpu to start the engine. Unless all of the harness and cpu from the 93 is being used, all of the harness from the 96 needs to be used. This gets important in places that have inspections because 96 is the year when it was mandated all vehicles must be obd2. The easiest way to do the swap is to remove the harness from the 96 and reuse it on the 93 and use the flexplate from the 96. The only other difference may be the temp senders. I don't recall when it was discontinued from the sender in the rear of the head to the sender in the thermostat housing. You can unbolt the manifolds and lay them to the side, so you don't have to unplug everything, but I would pull the engine as a whole unit and do all the work on it while you have room to see what you are doing.

Last edited:
I'm pretty certain that 93 and 96 use the same flex plate.

I'm not sure about those years, but I do know of more than one occasion that people have swapped engines and have not been able to start them because the wrong flexplate. I always make sure to check part numbers to make sure they are the same to save any extra work.

Yeah, there's a difference but I think the difference is between Renix and HO. or maybe it's early model and late model.

Idk either but you're right. Better safe than sorry.

I just put a 92 in my 97, no issues. Just use your accessories, intake, exhaust, ignition, etc. Make sure to plug the rear coolant sensor hole on the cylinder head since your 96 only has the one on the front only.

I just put a 93 in my 97 converted MJ. I had no issues. Like everyone else just use your intake and sensors.

Back