• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'92 Eliminator Resto

I stopped dicking around and ordered the clutch kit, the difference between the new and old friction discs was about .5mm on average, but I'm glad I replaced everything hopefully won't have to touch it again for a long time. Ended up replacing the input seal on the AX-15 as well while I had it apart.

Got the two halves mated back together and all the accessories, ignition and fuel components from the '92 installed. Just waiting on a new harmonic balancer and CPS and this thing should be ready to go back in and fire up.

Then on to suspension and the rear end.

Making progress. The motor swap is 100% complete. I even fired it up for about three seconds until I noticed a three foot long jet of fuel coming out of the pressure regulator. Turns out the o-rings are next to impossible to find. I really don’t want to spend $50 on a new regulator just to get the o-rings, anybody have a source or part number?

Also got started on the suspension drop. I used the rear coils off a ZJ to drop it down 2”s in the front. It’s almost sitting on the bumpstops now so I’ll need to trim those up, but I’m pretty happy with the look. We’ll see if the coils are too soft or not. Alternatively if they are I can cut the stock coils.

Used so drop blocks for an S-10 that I got off eBay for the rear. It’s fairly level from front to back, pretty happy with the look. Still need to dial it in a little more, align the toe angle and shorten the swaybar links, but considering the pace I’ve been going on this thing I’m happy to have gotten this far.

Before:

After:

clean

Looks great, but be careful about cutting back the bumpstop towers. If I take a hard hit from a speed bump or similar the steering links actually scratch the oil pan, and all I've got going on is shortened rubber in the bumpstops not actual modification to the structure. You will probably have to keep an eye on your steering and track bar to oil pan clearance.

Maybe consider stuffing some prothanes inside the coils?

Maybe consider stuffing some prothanes inside the coils?

Definitely an option. I had a prothane setup on my XJ, which worked great however I sold it:doh:

I need to see how much clearance i actually have and go from there. I probably can just trim my poly bumpstops, I wasn't planning on cutting the towers.

Also need a set of XJ shackles for the rear, I want to bring it down another inch to match the front better.

Fuel leak fixed at the regulator, here's the p/n for the seals if anyone's interested: 05013721AB. The is for the early H.O. fuel pressure regulator.

Drove it around the neighborhood, runs great and suspension feels really good, even with the sway bar disconnected because I haven't shortened the links yet. Stoked that the ZJ springs seem to have worked out.

Only issue I noticed is the motor is running hotter than normal and the electric fan isn't coming on at 210. It comes on when the AC is switched on or when the coolant temp sensor is unplugged, so not sure what the problem is, possibly air in the system giving a false reading? I did drill and tap the rear of the 0630 head for the 7120 head temp sender.

This is pretty much the last item on my punch list.

Only issue I noticed is the motor is running hotter than normal and the electric fan isn't coming on at 210. It comes on when the AC is switched on or when the coolant temp sensor is unplugged, so not sure what the problem is, possibly air in the system giving a false reading? I did drill and tap the rear of the 0630 head for the 7120 head temp sender.

Check the coolant temp sensor. I had an identical issue with my 96. Although I first noticed it had problems with hot starts, I realized the same with the fan/AC and unplugging the sensor as you have.

My MT-2500 will talk to your OBD-I MJ if you need to continue working to diagnose this. It will give a live reading of your sensors.

Cool, thanks. Might take you up on that. I need to return that engine hoist to you anyway.

I just realized that I am using the 13lbs rad cap from the '92 cooling system and not a 16lbs from the '98. Not sure if that would be the culprit or not for the overheating but I'll grab a new one on the way home and try it out.

Cool, thanks. Might take you up on that. I need to return that engine hoist to you anyway.

No worries, I'm not in a hurry right now.

I can bring the MT2500 to work one day, if needed.

I just realized that I am using the 13lbs rad cap from the '92 cooling system and not a 16lbs from the '98. Not sure if that would be the culprit or not for the overheating but I'll grab a new one on the way home and try it out.

I would use the 16lb. I was having issues with my renix, after I swapped to open cooling system.

Awesome job! That MJ looks great!

Awesome job! That MJ looks great!

Thanks!

I would use the 16lb. I was having issues with my renix, after I swapped to open cooling system.

Switched the rad cap to a 16lbs and tried a different coolant temp sensor, but it still runs a little hot and not turning the fan on. If I run the AC the efan seems to even out the temp, so I'm not too worried about it at the moment.

Shortened up the sway bar links, please don't laugh, they're sensitive about their size.

Took it for a wash and drive, I forgot how fun the 5 speed is. Fun breaking the rear end loose around corners. I think I'm going to try a XJ shackle, its a little high in the rear still.

Front and back

Last edited:
Me three. Looks great!

Loved my 90 Ranger 4.0 5-speed, ordered it with the 3.55 limited slip, but Ford's 4.0 didn't have the power of the Jeep's 4.0...

Any plans to do something with the bumpers? Maybe body color on the front? And the rear step bumper doesn't really go with the lowered sport truck look, in my opinion at least.

Me three. Looks great!

Loved my 90 Ranger 4.0 5-speed, ordered it with the 3.55 limited slip, but Ford's 4.0 didn't have the power of the Jeep's 4.0...

Any plans to do something with the bumpers? Maybe body color on the front? And the rear step bumper doesn't really go with the lowered sport truck look, in my opinion at least.

Agreed. I hope to paint it eventually, but not sure when that will happen. I would definitely color match the bumpers.

Not sure about the rear, a roll pan would be cool but it's not really in the scope of this project. I remember seeing a really nicely done one on here at some point.

Thanks for the compliments guys:cheers:

Edit: But this does look oh so sweet....

Last edited:
Back