• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

90' XJ still sits crooked

DPC

NAXJA Forum User
Ok So.......1990 XJ sat 1.5" lower on drivers side with 3" rough country coils an 2" spacers now I am running 4.5" RE ZJ springs and it still sits bad. Can not running a sway bar in the front do this or what is going on. All the springs are new. Can it have something to do with the track bar and steering linkage? I dont get it. Ther is no visible damage to the spring buckets up front either
Parts list:
4.5" RE ZJ coils in front with adj short arms and RE adj Track bar
3.5" RE leaf packs with 1.5" Shackles in rear. no swaybars and stock pitman arm

Thanks

DPC said:
Ok So.......1990 XJ sat 1.5" lower on drivers side with 3" rough country coils an 2" spacers now I am running 4.5" RE ZJ springs and it still sits bad. Can not running a sway bar in the front do this or what is going on. All the springs are new. Can it have something to do with the track bar and steering linkage? I dont get it. Ther is no visible damage to the spring buckets up front either
Parts list:
4.5" RE ZJ coils in front with adj short arms and RE adj Track bar
3.5" RE leaf packs with 1.5" Shackles in rear. no swaybars and stock pitman arm

Thanks

i assume when you say rough country coils you are talking front and 4.5 RE springs you mean rear.... anyway not running a sway bar will not have any effect on how it sits if you have a sway bar and it is set up wrong it can make it sit to one side. try swapping the coils/springs side to side and see if the problem moves side to side if it dosen't then you have some problems with your mounts. you didn't install a shackle on one side and forget to install it on the drivers side did you:gag:. o yea how much do you weigh maby it's you :gag:.
good luck

I concur with bj-666 about swapping the coils side to side to see what happens. Make sure you are sitting on a perfectly level surface when doing this. If swapping coils makes no difference check your rear springs too, if they are not sitting level, they can throw out the front end too. Lastly, don't run on the road without a front swaybar, its just plain dangerous.

canadian sissy

bj-666 said:
i assume when you say rough country coils you are talking front and 4.5 RE springs you mean rear.... anyway not running a sway bar will not have any effect on how it sits if you have a sway bar and it is set up wrong it can make it sit to one side. try swapping the coils/springs side to side and see if the problem moves side to side if it dosen't then you have some problems with your mounts. you didn't install a shackle on one side and forget to install it on the drivers side did you:gag:. o yea how much do you weigh maby it's you
good luck

NO... by saying 4.5" RE (ZJ) that would imply Coils thus in the front since I have an XJ with leaves in the rear and ZJ's have coils all around. That being said, I dont think my weight would have any effect while I am standing in my driveway measuring the difference in height so thanks..... :mad:

Anyways I have heard of several people having this problem and not coming up with a solution. It appears that the drivers side coil is compressed and has an arch to it. this leads me to think that the suspension is some how binding on the drivers side. I dont see how swapping sides will help because this is the second set of coils and still the same result. I guess I will just keep trying
to figure it out.

thanks

PS
I have not had a swaybar for two years and 50 miles-per-day traffic and still no problems. My wife even drives it so.........Uhh........No, I'll be nice :rattle:

I dealt with this in the rear for over a year after installing a lift, swapping springs, and finally figured out that several years prior my ex was rear ended. The body shop replaced the bumper only,... ignoring the fact that the frame was bent just behind the rear wheel well. Not a whole lot I could do about it. Has the Jeep been hit?

DPC said:
NO... by saying 4.5" RE (ZJ) that would imply Coils thus in the front since I have an XJ with leaves in the rear and ZJ's have coils all around. That being said, I dont think my weight would have any effect while I am standing in my driveway measuring the difference in height so thanks..... :mad:

Anyways I have heard of several people having this problem and not coming up with a solution. It appears that the drivers side coil is compressed and has an arch to it. this leads me to think that the suspension is some how binding on the drivers side. I dont see how swapping sides will help because this is the second set of coils and still the same result. I guess I will just keep trying
to figure it out.

Used springs or new? Also check how you have the pigtails of the springs clocked.. sometimes you can just spin the spring and it will sit in lower.. for this I would look at the pass-side spring. If the springs are bowed, check your LCA's are they stock? at 4.5" your going to need longer ones. Then check the track bar, if its too short it could affect the drivers side..

What have you done to the rear? is it sitting level or could that be pivoting the front to lean?

EDIT- Someone beat me to it.

Maybe this is completely in left field...but could the tracbar be causing this? The axle is being offset in such a manner to bind a spring and cause the bizarre stance.

I thought the combo of the stock piman arm and track bar might be to blame since it sits lower to the left. I dont recall if it sits the same with the track bar disco'ed but I do know the axel sits offset quite a bit without it connected and thats why i think it could be causing it. I have the RE adjustable track bar and the springs are new all the way around. The control arms are adjustable and are adjusted correct. I will try to disco the track bar and steering and see if it lifts. To me the coil looking the way it does says its something geometry wise but I was just wondering if anybody else had this problem. The spring seems to be arched so much that the center is rubbing on the bump stop. I will get back with the results. Oh, the RE 4.5" ZJ springs sit 5.5" in an XJ because it is lighter so The front is approx at 5.5"

thanks for the help

DPC

Back