• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

9" and 44

90whitexj

NAXJA Forum User
Alright i just found a great deal on a 9" and 44 out of a late 70 f-150. FREE. I thought about jumping up to 36's in the next year and was kind of wondering what it would cost to build these things. Im not worried about brackets and everthing thats not too expensive. But what about setting up gears in these things, and getting the steering set-up. without lockers what kind of price range should i be looking at?

I priced new gears and a Detroit in the 44 at $600, not set up, and it depends on if bearings and ball joints are okay.

For the rear I priced a hi-pinion with Detroit and 4.88 gears set up and ready to bolt in at $1395.
Low pinion same gears and locker $797 ready to go.

What else I was going to point out to you is what year for sure did they come from? up until 75 the 44 would be drums 76 and 77 are disk with welded on radius arm mounts. 78 and up disks with cast radius arm mounts.
The cast mounts aren't the best axle to use do to the fact that removing the cast mounts is next to impossible. If I remember there may not even be an axle tube thru the cast part of the axle. In other words if you have the cast mounts it's best to stay with a radius arm set up.

Everything that I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion, and may be proven wrong.

Daryl

Last edited:
I just got gears and lockers for my d44 and 9". I got everything off of Ebay. I picked up 5.13's for the 9" for $90 and a used detroit for $110, after shipping and install kits both axles ran me around $600. I will be installing them myself next week. If it has cast mounts the easiest thing is to run the radius arms. I am running radius arms and couldn't be happier. There are a few threads on it.

90whitexj said:
Alright i just found a great deal on a 9" and 44 out of a late 70 f-150. FREE. I thought about jumping up to 36's in the next year and was kind of wondering what it would cost to build these things. Im not worried about brackets and everthing thats not too expensive. But what about setting up gears in these things, and getting the steering set-up. without lockers what kind of price range should i be looking at?

Give Scott @ Axleboy a call. His gear prices and setup prices are very good and he's local. 636.939.5337

If it is out of a 70, make sure the 44 isn't kingpin before you jump into a rebuild.

This is a Kingpin 44 Knuckle
1099201072_King_Pin_HP_44__3.jpg

1102305522_kingpin_Knuckle.jpg

This is a Ball Joint 44 Knuckle
1102305579_Ball_Joint_Knuckle.jpg

Back