• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 xj wont stay running

thexjway420

NAXJA Forum User
it starts fine, runs for like 3 seconds then shuts off. it doesnt have the security features some of the new ones have so i know its not that. the dealship said it might be a body control module? he couldnt tell me where it was at so if anyone knows where this is please help.

its an 89 with alot of miles someone help me im at a loss:dunno:

This happened to mine a while back. Try this.

Try shorting the Ballast resister. It's the white ceramic thing on the drivers fender near the front. It gets shorted at startup by a relay I think for a stronger spark. After start up, the relay opens. If the resister is open or the wires to it are dirty the engine will quit. Try jumping it out. If it stays running, figure out if the resister is open or the connections are bad.

EDIT: I found some theads saying it's not for the ignition but for the fuel pump on an XJ. Whichever, it did fix my problem. Cheap easy thing to try.

Last edited:
X2 on the ballast resistor. One of the wires came off mine and I had never even heard of a ballast resistor, but after screwing around with it for a day, I found it, hooked it back up and poof, fixed. Even if it's gone bad replacing it is real easy & real cheap.

mine had a similar affliction. try wiring around the ballast resistor, if that fixes it then just eliminate the resistor altogether. it's only purpose was to quiet down the fuel pump. one less thing to go wrong after that.

In addition to what other posters suggested, check your fuel pressure. I had the same symptoms, and after changing hundreds of dollars worth of sensors, it was the fuel pump that wasnt putting enough pressure to the rail. PSI should be at least 31psi.

thexjway420 said:
thanks for the help, turns ouyt thats what it was and i got it running

Gotta watch that rascal (resistor) when removing/opening the air box! You're not the 1st one to learn and won't be the last. I wouldn't bypass ballast cause pump will run faster and may burn out quicker.

Oh, and go tell the dealership you talked to that they're smoking crack... there is no body control module on an 89 XJ. :laugh:

Later,
Joe

Back