• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'88 Xj (Renix) - Crank, No Start

Sounds like you are down to the ICM, and or C-101. Did you swap the MAP sensor back out again? I am not sure you need a good map sensor to get spark, but you said you swapped it, and still it did not start, so...

I don't have the right info with me to tell you much more here. The HV coil resistance data you posted sounds OK, IIRC. Have you ohmed out the primary HV wire just to make sure it is not busted inside, lost conductivity? It should be about 1000 ohms apx, for standard HV wires? Or about 0-1 ohm for special wires.

I reinstalled the original MAP for my testing today. This made the most sense to me to avoid complications. Many years ago the calibration/drivability service technician at a local dealer informed me regarding the Renix no starts resulting from MAP & CTS. I have had MAP do this to my '89 Xj several years ago but, I agree with you in that it seems unlikely this would result in a no spark.

No, I have not checked my coil/distributor HV wire as I view this as not very likely. Magnecor has made good wires for several years. To be thorough I should check it.

It seems that diagnosing the ICM is complicated by the fact that it must have power in order to produce appropriate measurements. I checked each one of mine here in the house this morning with my DMM but, I doubt these results are meaningful. I can swap ICMs & Coils all afternoon in an effort to improve my situation as I have (3) used sets here.

Thanks for the tip on the CPS mounting holes. My eyes opened very wide when I saw the meter display.

It was the coil. I replaced it with the spare from my '89 Xj and the engine fired. I'll survey my coils and ICM/coil combinations and post the results after cleaning up from the snow.

Unfortunately, the CPS is being hit by the ring gear on my flywheel. I heard a squeaking underneath me after the engine began running that went away shortly afterward. However, when I pull the throttle linkage with my hand the the ring gear contacts the CPS each time. I'll follow through with cruiser54's advice on moving one end of the CPS bracket move closer to the ring gear.

It was the coil. I replaced it with the spare from my '89 Xj and the engine fired. I'll survey my coils and ICM/coil combinations and post the results after cleaning up from the snow.

Unfortunately, the CPS is being hit by the ring gear on my flywheel. I heard a squeaking underneath me after the engine began running that went away shortly afterward. However, when I pull the throttle linkage with my hand the the ring gear contacts the CPS each time. I'll follow through with cruiser54's advice on moving one end of the CPS bracket move closer to the ring gear.

Make sure your engine to trans bolts are there, and tight first. Thanks for the update.

Back