• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 to 91 aw4 swap

BIGWOODY

NAXJA Forum User
Advance Adapters finally got my Atlas to me yesterday, I plan on throwing it in the MJ tonight. I currently have a 21 spline aw4, I am going to install a 23 spline from a 91 XJ, is this a plug and play swap? Anyone done this?

Well...I guess I'll know by the end of the day....just wish someone had done it so I'd know what to expect .(cussing, delays, etc...)

BIGWOODY said:
Well...I guess I'll know by the end of the day....just wish someone had done it so I'd know what to expect .(cussing, delays, etc...)

How long have you been turning wrenches Greg? LOL always lots of cussing and always delays...

OTOH I am pretty sure it's plug & play, the 91 still has the seperate TCU

it is plug and play aside from the t-case, which of course you are taking care of with the Atlas. You will want to use the flexplate for the year of the motor (88 Renix in your case) and the plug for the TCM is the same. Aside from the t-case spline count issue, all the AW4s behind 4.0s are plug and play between 87 and 96.

BrettM said:
it is plug and play aside from the t-case, which of course you are taking care of with the Atlas. You will want to use the flexplate for the year of the motor (88 Renix in your case) and the plug for the TCM is the same. Aside from the t-case spline count issue, all the AW4s behind 4.0s are plug and play between 87 and 96.

Thank you , a straight answer...freaking thank you. I'll be buying one of your controllers...

Back