• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'88 to '87 swaps

jeep4me

NAXJA Forum User
Picked up a '88 4 door parts donor this past weekend that was hit in the passenger front for $500. Quarter panel and CA are munched, driveline and interior is in EXCELLENT shape (4.0 with 4K on a complete rebuild!!!). We currently have an '87 Laredo 2 door, NP231, 4.0, non C-clip D35 rear. Having shattered a rear driveshaft over the weekend, swapped out the one from the '88 and was it a complete match (yes, pumped u-joints until they shed grease). We are wondering whether to swap out the 231 for the 242 and how much (if any) mods would have to be done. Also, just how dificult is it to replace the outer axle seals on a non C-clip D35?

most of the stuff should swap right over with noproblems at all. the t/case swap should go pretty easy too. i assume the same shift linkage will work for both but be prepared to swap the linkage as well just in case. the axle seals are pressed n the shaft with the bearings so unless you have a press to do it your gonna have to have it done for you..

From what I understand you have to swap linkage too. Youre swapping the 242 in? Youll love it on wet pavement and in the winter.

I think the 242 is slightly longer, which means changing the rear driveshaft and shift linkage. That's what I'm putting in my shortbox '88 Comanche. (4x4 conversion from 2WD at the same time)

We have the rear DShaft already swapped into the '87 (destroyed one last weekend), went right in same length as original. I think the NP242 is a bit longer in the front maybe? Sounds like an easy enough swapout, PB blasted everything in the rear of both twice today, doing the same and loosening some tomorrow to hopefully have a clean swap on Saturday of rears. Pulled the offending axle shaft today, there seems to be a seal inside the axle tube behind the bearing race torn to shreds. Anyone have a link to doing waht seems to be the inner seals on a D35 non C-clip, or is it the same as on the C-clips? Think will save the TCase for another day to come, looks like full linkage and console etc swap on that. Thanks for the info folks ;)

Back