• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 Cherokee

Gunter

NAXJA Forum User
ok this is my sons Jeep. we have same year mine is base model w 4.0 his is loaded with power everything. he has no dash lights or headlights. replaced switch no love. inspected wiring looks ok. is there a common fix for this? does not seem to have old collision damage that was butchered in. from a non rust belt state.

Check for power to the wires. Get a manual and follow the wiring diagrams and test the worse for power so you know. Looking at them doesn’t fix anything or tell you if the wire has power. It tells you the wire looks good.

I'd check for power at the "Park fuse" both ends, in power and out power. If there is no power there it is Likely to be a blown fusible link attached to the starter relay. If I remember correctly one of the light green fusible links is power in for the headlights, the park lights and the dash lights.

Also possible the headlight switch connector is partially melted.

In the fuse block near your left leg while sitting in the driver seat on the firewall (far left). PARK or PRK lower right quadrant of the fuse block.
If your headlights and dash lights are out it is likely the parking lights and dome lights are also out. They all get power from the same fusible link. If it just the ash lights nd the headlights it is likely to be the headlight switch connecter plug, either loose or burnt/partially melted.

Renix era. I'd do a search for Cruisers54 Renix fixes.

Go through all of his tips! In particular the headlight connector, and then install a headlight harness which will prevent failures of the headlight switch and give you full voltage to the headlights.
http://cruiser54.com/?p=35
http://cruiser54.com/?p=115

If you don't have power to the park or hazard fuses, check the fusible link. The fusible link on the passenger fender coming off the starter relay powers the headlights, dash lights, dome light, hazards, and power mirror. I believe it's one of the green wires.

Back