• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'80s Track of the Day

JohnJohn said:
If you guys like 80 some decent 70s stuff, check out this: www.1055jackfm.com.

Yah, seems like they're the latest 'network' station. We get them here on 93.1. Apparently the format started in Vancouver, BC and has been exported to the US. Quite honestly it's about the only station I can stand to listen to in the morning if I want to hear music solely because it doesn't have a pack of idiot DJs or morning show 'personalities' yabbering on about inane crap I don't give half a damn about.

JohnJohn said:
"Walk like and Egyptian" Bangles ----------this would considered racist today

More to come....

Oh John...thats not so bad....

The Cure...Killing an Arab. THAT would be considered racist.

On behalf of the arab people, I would have to say that is not racist, but in fact good music.

Peter Gabriel-So
In your Eyes-(remember Say Anything ?)
Mercy Street
Digging in the Dirt

Missed yesterday's update and will probably miss tomorrow's, so here's all three at once:

B-Movie: Nowhere Girl. I don't believe this is the original video, but I seem to remember it as having used footage from Metropolis, so at least it's closer to the original than the nine million fan-made videos splicing together anime clips (which seems to be all the rage).

The Tubes: She's a Beuaty. Typical '80s video intent on telling a story.

Devo: Freedom of Choice. Great example of when video was still somewhat experimental.

red91inWA said:
ANYTHING from the B-52's.

There is the BAND that made the 80's.

Uhhh... No. Disagreed. They had some good tracks (Planet Claire, Butterbeans) - but they're more an artifact of the decade than a fixture.

There are a lot of bands that are way more significant to the '80s than the B-52s.

JohnJohn said:
If you guys like 80 some decent 70s stuff, check out this: www.1055jackfm.com.

Colorado station, but anyone can listen via the net. Very cool station!

try www.kmod.com for good rock from the 70's on up plus every thursday morning,every day at 12:00 & 5:00... Roy D. Mercer
You can get it via the net.

I love 80's music. My itunes spit out 700+ songs for the 80's. 2.2 days of music.

No mention of the Talking Heads? My favorite song, "Nothing but Flowers"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJIj7wFvcJQ&search=talking heads

My favorite Rush album came out in 1981. Red barchetta is one of my all time favorite songs. Same album, different song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r460UMI5gbo&search=rush
Another by Rush, Distant Early Warning
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufb9qffKjnE&search=rush

Men at Work, I know, I know, but try this one: Down by the Sea

casm said:
Uhhh... No. Disagreed. They had some good tracks (Planet Claire, Butterbeans) - but they're more an artifact of the decade than a fixture.

There are a lot of bands that are way more significant to the '80s than the B-52s.

No way....

I heard rock lobster this morning ! I had to tell the wife to leave the radio alone till it finished.

this borders on BLASPHEMY!

Running late today. The Normal's TVOD. Synthpunk from when everyone was still trying to figure out that whole New Wave thing, yay.

And posted early because it looks like work has plans for all my free time this week:

Judas Priest: Breaking The Law. Yes, I was paying attention when "British Steel" was mentioned :)

The Clash: Brand-New Cadillac. Not the original video unfortunately, but still a kick-ass song.

The Cars: Hello Again. Trivia: The Car's You Might Think was the first fully computer-animated video.

Judas Priest - "You Got Another Thing Comin'". Probably better than "Breaking the Law," but not by much...

"You Might Think" was the first CGI video? I'd have thought it might have been Dire Straits' "Money for Nothing" or maybe that goofy one with Max Headroom...

5-90

5-90 said:
Judas Priest - "You Got Another Thing Comin'". Probably better than "Breaking the Law," but not by much...

Good song. No arguments there.

"You Might Think" was the first CGI video?

First *fully* CGI - that is, the people in it were digitised representations in addition to the computer-generated graphics. There were videos that had preceded it with computer animation included, but usually this was the same chromakey-overlay stuff that had been seen for (then) 20 years. It also predated Money for Nothing.

I'd have thought it might have been Dire Straits' "Money for Nothing" or maybe that goofy one with Max Headroom...

Money for Nothing was a damned impressive video, no doubt - but the live action parts (i.e., Mark Knopfler on the neon guitar wearing the similar headband) were hand-drawn. Max Headroom was a whole other world: Max' head was actually Matt Frewer in a latex mask on a chromakey background with sampler effects (and the video you might've been thinking of was Art of Noise's Paranoimia - "And on drums... The Pope!"). Backgrounds were generated on a Commodore Amiga.

On a side note, Twenty Minutes Into the Future remains one of the best bits of (relatively) recent science fiction written and filmed. "Remember when we said there was no future? Well, this is it."

Last edited:
casm said:
Good song. No arguments there.

First *fully* CGI - that is, the people in it were digitised representations in addition to the computer-generated graphics. There were videos that had preceded it with computer animation included, but usually this was the same chromakey-overlay stuff that had been seen for (then) 20 years. It also predated Money for Nothing.

Money for Nothing was a damned impressive video, no doubt - but the live action parts (i.e., Mark Knopfler on the neon guitar wearing the similar headband) were hand-drawn. Max Headroom was a whole other world: Max' head was actually Matt Frewer in a latex mask on a chromakey background with sampler effects (and the video you might've been thinking of was Art of Noise's Paranoimia - "And on drums... The Pope!"). Backgrounds were generated on a Commodore Amiga.

On a side note, Twenty Minutes Into the Future remains one of the best bits of (relatively) recent science fiction written and filmed. "Remember when we said there was no future? Well, this is it."

Makes sense. I wasn't doubting you - just trying to get my own facts straight...

Granted, I tend to think that "Money for Nothing" was the best song of the three, but Mark Knopfler has talent with a Fender... I've had to include him in my "Guitar Gods" pantheon for some time...

Yeah - that was the one I was thinking of. I couldn't dredge up the name - I guess it's one of those "unimportant" memories I'd lost (I never knew the name of the tune, but I should have been able to remember the group...)

5-90

Back