• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'80s Track of the Day

karstic said:
You forgot Blanc Mange

As in Blind Vision? Nope :) But I'm trying to balance out the synth content a bit; there's a lot of it to choose from. Lumping them in with Ultravox / Midge Ure / Visage, etc.

Midnight Oil

Good call, hadn't thought about them.

The Jesus and Mary Chain, and Oingo Boingo....

Oingo Boingo is definitely on the list; J&M Chain is a case of finding the right video.

Don't forget Fishbone and Madness

Since it looks like I'm going to be busy at work tomorrow, here's Thursday's track today. Appropriately enough, it's Killing Joke's Eighties. Bite me, punk rock thread :D

Last edited:
5-90 said:
Pretty much the only thing I can't really stand is the "new" (c)rap - I liked rap in its original form, before it got all racist, sexist, and violent. It seems to me that now "rap" isn't so much an art form or a means of musical expression, as it is a way for n*****s with no talent or useable/saleable skills to make inordinate amounts of money. (Yes, I use that word on purpose. I don't have anything against blacks - or any other colour, for that matter - but there will be racism as long as there are those who insist upon being n*****s.)

5-90
i like you.

Ramsey said:
i like you.

Just to check - are you being facetious, or are you actually serious? :gag:

On a more realistic note - it's amazing how often I get polarised reactions to that - especially from Blacks. The people who we can consider "Black" agree with me, and the n*****s get all bent out of shape about it. Probably because it's true.

Granted, n*****s aren't just Black - they're found in every single colour - with "wiggers" probably running a close second. Asians (probably need to call them "chiggers") are rapidly gaining ground as well.

What gets me is they want to be respected and handled as Asians, but act like n*****s from Detroit. How does that work again? Pick one.

As far as me goes, I'm Scottish (Ros & MacLeod,) and I see no reason to act like anything else. I'm comfortable with who I are - and I don't understand why people aren't. It's not like you can change your skin like changing a shirt...

5-90

5-90 said:

On a more realistic note - it's amazing how often I get polarised reactions to that - especially from Blacks. The people who we can consider "Black" agree with me, and the n*****s get all bent out of shape about it. Probably because it's true.

Granted, n*****s aren't just Black - they're found in every single colour - with "wiggers" probably running a close second. Asians (probably need to call them "chiggers") are rapidly gaining ground as well.

What gets me is they want to be respected and handled as Asians, but act like n*****s from Detroit. How does that work again? Pick one.

As far as me goes, I'm Scottish (Ros & MacLeod,) and I see no reason to act like anything else. I'm comfortable with who I are - and I don't understand why people aren't. It's not like you can change your skin like changing a shirt...

5-90

I think the Gang of 4 said it best...Ramsey likes a man in uniform...he loves to see them shoot!

"Eye of the Tiger" Survivor------------You know it's true!
"Faith" George Micheal ------------Don't keep lying to yourself
"What I Like about you" Romatics----------uhuu hu
"Keep your hand to yourself" Georgia Atellites -------scanning my 80 iTunes playlist now :)
"Walk like and Egyptian" Bangles ----------this would considered racist today

More to come....

JohnJohn said:
"Eye of the Tiger" Survivor------------You know it's true!
"Faith" George Micheal ------------Don't keep lying to yourself
"What I Like about you" Romatics----------uhuu hu
"Keep your hand to yourself" Georgia Atellites -------scanning my 80 iTunes playlist now :)
"Walk like and Egyptian" Bangles ----------this would considered racist today

More to come....

Definite gotta go with that last one - and maybe the Romantics tune (Georgia Satellites got ENTIRELY too much airtime for my liking, and I'm still a little burned out on them...)

Is it just me, or was there something almost truly sinful about Susanna Hoffs' voice?

5-90

5-90 said:

5-90
being serious, completely agree with how you stand...on quite a few things suprisingly

XJFreak said:
These are all examples of the crap from the eighties that was popular and can still get stuck in your head. Here is another:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHWS0H2JqSU

You keep telling us how much '80s music sucks, yet you continue to listen to it. Oh, the delicious, delicious irony ;)

One thing about '80s music: it covers a wider variety of styles than probably any other decade to date; see today's end-of-era punk choice for evidence. While I also happen to hate Phil Collins (by and large), he is by no means solely representative of the music of that decade - but definitely a part of it, and certainly not one that can be ignored. 'Mama' is one of my favourite songs (damned twisted track!), and, moving back to Genesis, 'Land of Confusion'.

Anyway, with that in mind - here's something for Friday from a band that had a remarkably wide range of styles under its belt, but never quite made it in the US in a big way except for their one hit known as either the 'Ferris Bueller's Day Off song' or 'Duffman's Theme' - Oh Yeah. This is Yello's The Race. Unfortunately, this isn't the best song from that album (Flag): Blazing Saddles, Otto Di Catania, Of Course I'm Lying, and 3rd of June are all seminal '80s tracks, but this is what I could turn up video for. Still a damn fine piece of work; think of them as Switzerland's parallel to Oingo Boingo and you won't be far wrong.

Oh, and yes, there is Depeche Mode in the works... Trust me on this :)

Last edited:
casm said:
You keep telling us how much '80s music sucks, yet you continue to listen to it. Oh, the delicious, delicious irony ;)

One thing about '80s music: it covers a wider variety of styles than probably any other decade to date; see today's end-of-era punk choice for evidence. While I also happen to hate Phil Collins (by and large), he is by no means solely representative of the music of that decade - but definitely a part of it, and certainly not one that can be ignored. 'Mama' is one of my favourite songs (damned twisted track!), and, moving back to Genesis, 'Land of Confusion'.

Anyway, with that in mind - here's something for Friday from a band that had a remarkably wide range of styles under its belt, but never quite made it in the US in a big way except for their one hit known as either the 'Ferris Bueller's Day Off song' or 'Duffman's Theme' - Oh Yeah. This is Yello's The Race. Unfortunately, this isn't the best song from that album (Flag): Blazing Saddles, Otto Di Catania, Of Course I'm Lying, and 3rd of June are all seminal '80s tracks, but this is what I could turn up video for. Still a damn fine piece of work; think of them as Switzerland's parallel to Oingo Boingo and you won't be far wrong.

Oh, and yes, there is Depeche Mode in the works... Trust me on this :)

Your right. I just can't stand to try to find anymore of that music. Give me good old seventies R&R. Maybe a thread on music from the 70s would be better.

So let me get this straight for a moment here...

This is a thread about 80's songs - particularly dealing with video files - and you don't have the video if the 1980's, A-Ha's Take On Me included in the list?

Shame on you!

GSequoia said:
So let me get this straight for a moment here...

This is a thread about 80's songs - particularly dealing with video files - and you don't have the video if the 1980's, A-Ha's Take On Me included in the list?

Shame on you!

Pah! :D

It's included. I'm just trying to stay away from the stuff that gets heavy rotation on the lunctime radio shows and VH-1 for the most part. It'll put in an appearance, trust me...

Back