• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 steerable

TheFortuneAteMySon said:
I stand by the fact that the absolute worst thing about the 8.25 is the brakes.
The tiny drums on the 8.25" are barely enough to stop a rig with 31s and anything other than stock GVW.
Allow me to stress, that these brakes are interchangeable with the drums used on early Chrysler minivans.
MINIVANS!
The tubes are nice and thick, the housing is tough as hell, and the lip on the bottom edge can be ground flush with little effort, but you still have brakes that I wouldn't trust on my son's razor scooter.
My $.02.

Same brakes I had on those axles on my 70's Mopars that weighed a bit more than my XJ...and I didn't have any problems stopping. Granted, I'd like bigger ones because they LOOK puny. :laugh3:

ECKSJAY said:
Same brakes I had on those axles on my 70's Mopars that weighed a bit more than my XJ...and I didn't have any problems stopping. Granted, I'd like bigger ones because they LOOK puny. :laugh3:

You win.
I will trade you even up for my D60 with Disks by TSM.
My brakes 'look' huge.
Piddly little 3/4 ton Chevy thingies.
:laugh3:

TheFortuneAteMySon said:
Why are you so supportive...

Where in my reply do you see support? Also, why do you bring up points that won't have anything to do with using this as a front axle application, i.e. brakes and c-clip?

I thought this was advanced fab, not I've never built my own custom axle (or anything for that matter) yet love to shoot down everyone elses ideas rather than coming up with a decent suggestion.

OneTonXJ said:
Where in my reply do you see support? Also, why do you bring up points that won't have anything to do with using this as a front axle application, i.e. brakes and c-clip?

AZXJ said:
If this were to happen it would be a front axle.

A c-clip eliminator would need to be machined.

DaveO

CRASH said:
There is no need for any sort of C-clip eliminator. Front axles don't need C-clips, the spindle seal and backing plate perform the task of retainin the axle in the differential.

The fact that you think you need an eliminator has me worried for the safety of your fellow Arizonans.

Please reconsider this project, though it would be absolutely no problem to do for an EXPERIENCED fab artist.

Helluva try, though.
And the latest project in my garage is anything but 'bolt-on madness'.
How is the view down your nose at everyone else?
:laugh2:

screw it I vote he makes an axle like this with an 8.25 center section, it would be a mog8.25 :p
attachment.php

On the real, if you are going through all of the trouble to make a custom axle, start out with something beefier, you could do a 9" dana 60 hybrid for a little more

TheFortuneAteMySon said:
You win.
I will trade you even up for my D60 with Disks by TSM.
My brakes 'look' huge.
Piddly little 3/4 ton Chevy thingies.
:laugh3:

Not a chance, TSM disk kits are Joke. Brackets from Great Lake for $55, Calipers and Rotors from Autozone and Voila 3/4 ton brakes............:laugh3:

Dana607.jpg

Oh, and ZJ disc are a direct bolt on to the 8.25, so you can throw that arguement right out the window............. hasta

ZJPlate2.jpg

I said TSM, but meant Great Lakes.
My bad on that one.
I have the same brackets/brakes.
Cool funky 180 bend in the soft line and all.
Sorry, I cannot post pics.
TSM was not bad when I had them on my 44.
Limited options there.
ZJ disks are ok, but again, why bother on a marginal, c-clip axle.

That's uncalled for, we aren't even gonna go there Scott.

And like Phil said, Only the people who have owned them say that. Cause they Paid $300 for some brackets and another $300 for some crap ass eldorado calipers that work like shit..............:repair:

91 Jeep Project said:

And like Phil said, Only the people who have owned them say that. Cause they Paid $300 for some brackets and another $300 for some crap ass eldorado calipers that work like shit..............:repair:

Nice try...
Lets see here...
91 Jeep Project...
Birthday:
October 5, 1985
Merchandiser

Merchandiser, eh?
I think you are just bitter because it takes me a while to find the right pair of jeans at the Gap, and you are one of the little fruits in the headsets who has to fold up all the pants that I decided NOT to buy.
Enjoy the rest of your life in the service industry.
I am sure you will have your name on a plaque at some point, possibly for the month of April.

Last edited:
91 Jeep Project said:

He's right, I did.... live and learn! :gag:

TheFortuneAteMySon said:
Nice try...
Lets see here...
91 Jeep Project...
Birthday:
October 5, 1985
Merchandiser

Merchandiser, eh?
I think you are just bitter because it takes me a while to find the right pair of jeans at the Gap, and you are one of the little fruits in the headsets who has to fold up all the pants that I decided NOT to buy.
:laugh2: :laugh2:

kid4lyf said:
:laugh2: :laugh2:

I'll see your 2 laughs and raise you another.

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

And 2 claps for good measure.

:yelclap: :yelclap:

Back