• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 steerable

Okie Terry said:
I beg to differ.
My 8.25 has been living happily wearing 38"Swampers for 10 years.
I think this is a great idea and believe he should go forward with the idea.
You should look for reverse cut gears and IIRC they come in 5.13 flavor.
Also, you may need to check, but some company makes all the c's and inners and outer shafts already cut for this, but they run 260 joints, but that's okay too, because that's what I'm running in my D30 front.
Just remember to run synthetic with friction modifier or the No-Slip will never grab.

HTH

It's bolt on too!

Azxj, I'm all for trying crap that's outside the box. Problem with this one is- by the time you're done getting all the custom one off crap to fit, you could have dropped in a waggy 44 w/alloys and have gotten in a complete season of wheeling.

I'm not trying to talk down to you (like many in this thread are), just trying to get you to realize the amount of time and money you'll have into building a custom axle.

In order to build this axle you'll need:
-knuckles, inner and outer
-brakes with associated means of attaching to axle
-custom axle shafts

The list goes on, but those are the big money items. If you're going to grab these parts off another axle, why not just use that axle instead?

OneTonXJ said:
I'm not trying to talk down to you (like many in this thread are), just trying to get you to realize the amount of time and money you'll have into building a custom axle.

Good thing you added this.
I was beginning to think that the sarcasm was lost on this one.
He asked a question, and didn't like the answer, over and over.
Why are you so supportive...did he offer to paint the cover yellow?
I also see a Thornbird as your avatar.
What are you doing in this forum?

TheFortuneAteMySon said:

One Ton has alot more history on NAXJA then you. What are YOU doing in this forum??? I definitely liked it better when this was a members only area................. :lecture:

91 Jeep Project said:
One Ton has alot more history on NAXJA then you. What are YOU doing in this forum???

:roflmao: :roflmao:

91 Jeep Project said:
One Ton has alot more history on NAXJA then you. What are YOU doing in this forum??? I definitely liked it better when this was a members only area................. :lecture:
Don't you have a chapter meeteing to attend?

TheFortuneAteMySon said:
You shouldn't say that.
I like Sean, he's cool.
You're a jerk who should be banned from this and all other forums.
Mean people suck.

91 Jeep Project said:

:confused1

The 8.25 is low pinion and has worse clearance than a D30. Not even remotely worth the effort for a front application.

I don't see what's so funny, Dirk Pitt. ;)

Last edited:
TheFortuneAteMySon said:
The only thing an 8.25" axle begs for is mercy.
Good luck.

Yet here you are, in the ADVANCED fabrication forum.
Makes sense to me!
Sofa King.

I dont think an 8.25 should be used for a front application simply because there are so many other options. But it is still a good axle, i have the 29 spline and 35's and iv had no problems on the trail.

That being said i too have a 44 sitting in the drive way simply because i want to run 4.88's

The only people who say that the 8.25 axle is a good axle are those who are running it.
The brakes were designed for Chrysler minivans, and moved over to the XJ.

Lets recap: Small brakes, low pinion, huge lip on the bottom to plow the driveway, c-clip axle shafts, gearing restricted to 4.56, limited locker selection, and they don't come in Patriot Blue(ran out of 'cons').
Helluva axle!

Find a guy who says he likes larger women, and chances are its because thats what he is stuck with.
Not too tough to like liver when its the only thing on the menu.
What color would you like your Model T?

Last edited:
TheFortuneAteMySon said:
The only people who say that the 8.25 axle is a good axle are those who are running it.
The brakes were designed for Chrysler minivans, and moved over to the XJ.

Lets recap: Small brakes, low pinion, huge lip on the bottom to plow the driveway, c-clip axle shafts, gearing restricted to 4.56, limited locker selection, and they don't come in Patriot Blue(ran out of 'cons').
Helluva axle!

Find a guy who says he likes larger women, and chances are its because thats what he is stuck with.
Not too tough to like liver when its the only thing on the menu.
What color would you like your Model T?
Your knob factor is excessive for a n00b. Not satisfied with your peeny today? Remember this is a family site. Excessive testosterone need not apply...
:wave:

AZXJ said:
Sorry should have been 4.56 not 4.88..

Do either of you ever think outside the box (TheFortuneAteMySon,Beej)
:rolleyes: You must know me pretty well to think I was
A.) criticizing you...not!
and
B.) incapable of thinking outside the box. Read my posts and your eyes will open. Very wide indeed... ;)

Actually, the noob make plenty of sense.
Like I said, I run it and am happy with it, but as soon as it starts showing it's true colors it's outta there.
Seriously, it's a waste of resources and money to spend either time or cash on the C8.25.
That's why mines welded with a ring gear from one set and a pinion from another.
This was a case of breaking the original ring and seanR sending me his from a set that he broke the pinion on.
I can't see spending more money on a locker and new ring and pinion for a marginally reliable axle assy.

Okie Terry said:
Actually, the noob make plenty of sense.
Like I said, I run it and am happy with it, but as soon as it starts showing it's true colors it's outta there.
Seriously, it's a waste of resources and money to spend either time or cash on the C8.25.
That's why mines welded with a ring gear from one set and a pinion from another.
This was a case of breaking the original ring and seanR sending me his from a set that he broke the pinion on.
I can't see spending more money on a locker and new ring and pinion for a marginally reliable axle assy.

Spot on, old chap. Found mine that a local kid had with 4.56 RP, open diff, and 29spline. Untold number of miles, but WGAF? $175 and it bolted right in. I'm only running 33, which I bought new in March. I figure that if this axle dies or the tires wear out I'll buck up and jump right to 37s and D60s. Front locker, 4.56, and 33x12.50 MTRs get me where I need. But hey, this is Advanced Tech. I just lurk here. :D

I stand by the fact that the absolute worst thing about the 8.25 is the brakes.
The tiny drums on the 8.25" are barely enough to stop a rig with 31s and anything other than stock GVW.
Allow me to stress, that these brakes are interchangeable with the drums used on early Chrysler minivans.
MINIVANS!
The tubes are nice and thick, the housing is tough as hell, and the lip on the bottom edge can be ground flush with little effort, but you still have brakes that I wouldn't trust on my son's razor scooter.
My $.02.

Back