• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 or Dana 44

I'm actually pretty content with my 8.25 though I don't get to do much wheeling on it because life. But one thing I haven't seen mentioned is something I really like about it, the fact that the axles are the same length. Carry 2-3 spares and go. Snap one, replace. You don't have to worry about if it's a left or right. 2-3 spares is easier to carry than 2-3 sets of spares. Just my .02 though.

44 you can run the short side on both sides, so only carry the one spare

That I did not know. Learn something new every day. Can that actually be wheeled on or is that just kinda a patch job? Still kinda new to all this.

I wouldt build it that way but I wouldn't hold back in it either. They are about .5" difference in length

Apples to Apples, the D44 is less expensive in the long run, and bolt in.

Price out:
Axle housing (D44 about 200$ more).
Gears (D44 about 30$ less).
Locker (about 40-60$ less).
Chromoly Shaft kit (D44 about 125$ less).
New perches, shock mounts and expendables to remove existing from 8.8 (D44 about 50-75$ less).
New Ubolts and hardware for larger than stock tube (D44 about $25 less).
New yoke adapter needed for 8.8 (D44 about 29-35$ less).
New hydro brake lines for the 8.8 (D44 about 20$ less)
New e-brake cables for 8.8 (D44 about 40-50$ less)

Pro to f8.8 (only one I can think of, of any value):
disc brakes (min advantage over 10x2" drums on XJ D44).

SO why do a 8.8 over a XJD44?

Yeah cheap not apples to apples the F8.8 might cost you 100-300$ less. But come on, 4.11 and stock trac-lok posi with 120-250K miles? Really? DO the true apples to apples build comparo....

I agree that the c-clips don't break very often. I've on seen them break on the drag strip, and it wasn't a jeep either, so if you get a good deal on an 8.8 or simply want to build the Chrysler axle, go for it. I kept my Chrysler axle to put in another Cherokee that has the crappy dana 35.

Back