• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 or Dana 44

guero_42

NAXJA Forum User
so I have a 8.25, but I have a decent deal on a dana 44. im trying to decide is it worth it to buy the 44 and rebuild that one or just rebuild the 8.25 with Ox Lock, 4.56 Gears, Chromo Axles?

Jeep is on 35's, 6.5 Lift, stock 99 4.0 engine.

off road usage: Mud, Rivers, Hills (dirt more than rocks) , medium crawling on rocks.

You already have everything for th e 8.25 right i wouldn't waste the money building the d44 if you already have a nice axle already built but you can always pick it up and hold it for a rainy day or just flip it

I have a stock 8.25 I don't have any of the hardware I want to upgrade to. just wondering if people think the 8.25 will hold up

they guy is willing to sell the dana 44 with an ox lock and cable for 800. doesn't have the right gears so id need to buy gears, and a rebuild kit for all the bearings since its open might s well.

they guy is willing to sell the dana 44 with an ox lock and cable for 800. doesn't have the right gears so id need to buy gears, and a rebuild kit for all the bearings since its open might s well.

Sounds like an XJ Dana 44. That is a sweet easy bolt on.

C-clips are an overblown weakness- they're 31 spline shafts stock. The 8.8 gets you nice disc brakes. Also, at 6.5 inches he'd probly have to cut the factory leaf pads off and re-do, right? If u lose the direct bolt in bonus, 8.8 is the way to go IMO.

The dana 44 ring gear is better.

The dana 44 doesnt have a crush sleeve on the pinion (common 8.25 failure point)

The dana 44 doesn't have c-clips.

The 8.25 has bigger axle tubes.
Smaller axles.
C-clips
crush sleeves
smaller gears
less ratios
more expensive lockers

The 8.25 is almost a dana 44 in every way, but its a little bit less, in every way.

I would go for the D44. Read about potential problems with cable adjustments on the OX. You can get ARB or OX lockers for both the 44 and 8.25. If you go to the 44 you can get an e-locker, etc. cal's comment "The 8.25 is almost a dana 44 in every way, but its a little bit less, in every way." is a great way to sum it. Many here like the 8.25 because they're readily available and dirt cheap. Many here run 33/4.56 with no issues to report on their 8.25. Any of them can break, and if you do break one, you will probably have a harder time finding a replacement 44 than a 8.25. My 8.25 is apart because one of the carrier bearings got destroyed after a wheeling trip in which nothing major (so I thought) was involved. I only have a LSD! I can only guess that one of the side adjusters loosened up. Not sure if it was setup error or not, they were torqued to 75 ft-lbs per the book and it ran fine for thousands of miles before the rocky trails.. The HP D30 and D44 axles do not have side adjusters or crush sleeves. Everything is solid and done with shims.

Last edited:
Unless it is shot, I'd buy that 44 with the Ox locker for $800. If your other options are to get a new Ox locker, it's like you're getting the 44 for free. And it'll drop in.

Now, I also see a lot of 44s go for $400 with stock gears and no locker. In that case, I'd either get an 8.25 (for less $$) or an 8.8 (which would be about $400 between the cost of the axle and the welding and give you a much stronger axle).

Paul

The D-44 has a ton of aftermarket support. Past that, it is your money, and fabrication skill...

If your 8.25 is pretty much built up stick with it. The only down side of the 8.25 is c clip but the don't break like the 35s do. The lowest gear ratio you can get is 4.88. Locker selection is limited.

D44 is better than a 8.25 in my book

However, an 8.25, D44, & 8.8 can all handle 35's locked just fine.
So go with whatever you can get BUILT for the cheapest.

That happened to be a D44 for me.

8.25 for me. HP 44s are $600 and up WHEN you can find them in my neck of the woods

I had the same dillema a few months ago, bought an 8.25 but then a a 44 came up for 300$ with a ruffstuff cover so i went that route. As for the the axle tubes they are the same as a d35, but ironrock offroad makes a nice truss for a 100$ and was an easy weld job. Also cromo axles can be had for 200$ a pair not sure what they run for an 8.25 though, almost all parts are cheaper for the 44

Back