• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 cover

Where can you find that Durango cover for ~$30? The only place I've found wants $46.61.
EDIT: I just found it $2 cheaper at moparpart.com.

Last edited:
I would think cast iron would tend to shatter if you hit a rock with it...

I am not sure who you are or who you seem to think you are, but I am both a Member and a Sponsor.

Fergie said:
Gravel,

There is a time and a place to push your products. This thread, and this sub-forum are not the place.

Notice how your first post was edited? That will continue to happen, and then they will get deleted, and then you get slapped.

Ease up, become a Member, and a Sponsor.

Fergie

RCP Phx -- Looks like Crane dropped the 8.25 cover (as well as the D35) from the lineup...damn shame, but if it don't sell - Oh well. No pics of mine, but the fit is very nice...could shave most of the lower lip without touching the cover itself, and there is nothing hanging out to catch on. If you find one, change the bolts to hex heads or larger Allen heads, or be careful when torquing down -- I over-gorilla'd the bolts on mine and had to use an extractor on 6 of them to get them out.

Yeah,I called Crane yesterday and he told me they stopped making them a couple years ago.He said they had only sold like 100 over a couple years.So I ordered a Ruffstuff cover.I also ordered 3 covers from Rockcrusher and asked him if they had thought about making one for the 8.25,they said that they had talked about it and might if there was a real demand for them!
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=97677

The only cover I would consider is one with both a fill and a drain at which point I'd do fluid changes more often. I hate screwing with a gasket or RTV so I tend to keep it out of water more than 8" deep.

CaveMan said:
RCP Phx -- Looks like Crane dropped the 8.25 cover (as well as the D35) from the lineup...damn shame, but if it don't sell - Oh well. No pics of mine, but the fit is very nice...could shave most of the lower lip without touching the cover itself, and there is nothing hanging out to catch on. If you find one, change the bolts to hex heads or larger Allen heads, or be careful when torquing down -- I over-gorilla'd the bolts on mine and had to use an extractor on 6 of them to get them out.

that really sucks, but now i feel special for having one! the crane is BP!

Gravel Maker said:
I am both a Member and a Sponsor.

Member = RED.
Forum user = Black.

:dunno:

XJLaredo said:
Member = RED.
Forum user = Black.

:dunno:

I have no idea why mine comes up black, however, you might take a peek in the vendors section or the giveaway section, or at my banner that flashes across the top of the screen now and then, it really makes no difference to me......

Hey, SW if that durango cover is really 1/2 inch thick would it be ok to drill/tap for a drain plug? I dont recall ever trying to drill or tap in cast iron so if anyone knows if its possible ill grab one of those tommorow! Im not too worried about bashing into rocks just want a little more sturdy cover with a drain plug without spending alot.

mjd99xj said:
Hey, SW if that durango cover is really 1/2 inch thick would it be ok to drill/tap for a drain plug? I dont recall ever trying to drill or tap in cast iron so if anyone knows if its possible ill grab one of those tommorow! Im not too worried about bashing into rocks just want a little more sturdy cover with a drain plug without spending alot.

You cannot drill and tap cast iron, all the tapped holes in your engine block are fake.

Mhm. Mild brain fart. I was mostly concerned with the thickness and if it was really 1/2 inch thick to allow for more than 2 or 3 threads. But thank you for the clarification.

mjd99xj said:
Mhm. Mild brain fart. I was mostly concerned with the thickness and if it was really 1/2 inch thick to allow for more than 2 or 3 threads. But thank you for the clarification.

If it is 1/2" thick, I wouldn't hesitate to tap it.

Do you really need a drain plug though? Does it really take that long to pull the cover and replace with fresh RTV?

Probably takes me an extra 15 minutes.

Nah, mostly just laziness. I got sick of trying to reseal my bent stock one 3X and just want to bolt one on and forget about it. I picked up a set of them there lubelocker gaskets (yeah i know, waste of a few $ and lazy) and just wanted to throw it on and leave it till i break something. Go ahead, poke fun but i hate rtv.

Man I hate RTV too. Last time I changed my diff fluid I used red RTV and it looked like it was gushing blood when I bolted it down. I think a drain plug on my diff would save me way more than 15 minutes of time. Hell I spent 15 minutes cleaning off the old RTV......Oh and im glad Gravel chimed in with his exellent looking diff covers.....How much does it cost to join NAXJA?...10-25 bucks? I need to join to help support the forum (servers and ect); but I wouldn't think that im 10-25 dollars better (wheeler, poster ect..) than people who are "only users".....get my point?

hey mjd99xj ,
not sure what the thickness is , in the area where you would probably want to drill and tap for a drain plug ,
diameter of the plug should be based on the measured thickness .
even if it's only 1/4 ~ 3/8 thick in that area , stick to something like a 1/8 npt plug .

i just did this swap 5-10 k miles ago , so i am not due for a while .
never crossed my mind when i was installing it ,
because i would rather pull the cover and look around inside ,
besides , ricers wont fit through a drain plug .:roflmao:

Back