• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 4.88 gears are out

cal said:
You can get CrMo axles for the dana 44, dana 60, 8.8 and 9" in semi float. I don't see why the 8.25 would be any different.

You just awnsered your own question! CrMo axles are to hard for the 8.25, no flex. The 8.25 axel bears alot of weight non semi/full float and therefore cannot use the super hard CrMo. The full and semi float axels are designed to relieve the axel of all or some of the vehicle weight.

Last edited:
ColoradoRaptor said:
You just awnsered your own question! CrMo axles are to hard for the 8.25, no flex. The 8.25 axel bears alot of weight non semi/full float and therefore cannot use the super hard CrMo. The full and semi float axels are designed to relieve the axel of all or some of the vehicle weight.

the 8.25 IS a semi-float, the same as a 9", 44, or 35 - all of which have CrMo axles available.

cal said:
the 8.25 IS a semi-float, the same as a 9", 44, or 35 - all of which have CrMo axles available.

As I have come to understand it, it is not the same as the 9, 44 or 35. The reason for no CrMo is still the same. If I am not mistaken, I spoke to someone at Superior about this very topic and was given this info.

ColoradoRaptor said:
As I have come to understand it, it is not the same as the 9, 44 or 35. The reason for no CrMo is still the same. If I am not mistaken, I spoke to someone at Superior about this very topic and was given this info.

You have come to understand incorrectly. Having run, broken, built and rebuilt various 35, 44, 9", 8.25, and both full and semi float 60's - I can tell you the 8.25 takes the EXACT same stress.

There aren't CrMo axles because there isn't enough demand for them. People who are going big enough to require them want deeper than 4.56 gears. There are some guys out there running 35's with 4.56's who would get away with a CrMo 29 spline 8.25, but they are few and most of them seem to end up going 33 spline d44 anyways.

Superior is a really bad example, as they have an open project to build a "Super 8.25" kit with c-clip eliminators and CrMo axles using 4.88 gears - but as we all know, they never completed the project and have returned the project parts to their original owners.

Before you call bullshit, try calling the vendor.

The gearset is $300, and people who had shown past interest got the first run.

Thanks!! Been sayin that for a while, they are out!! Was goin to get a set but ended up with a 44.

Back