• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5.3L Vortec V8 Conversion

However ... sometimes you just need a clean pallet, blank canvas, fresh start, new perspective... Heck I don't know that I'll ever build another XJ, but when I see a clean, unmodified '99 I start thinking: ohhhh the things I could do to you!

Re: 5.3L SUMMERY OF WHATS NEEDED

Got the headers on Thursday evening. They are made by Sanderson Headers. I've looked on the Sanderson website and cannot find an exact match.

IMG_3890.jpg

QUOTE]
Since this thread comes up most in a google search for ls Cherokee swap Iu thought Id add this use full info

They are Sanderson lsnovak or a block hugger on one side and a s10 swap on the other side. Call Novak directly and ask for the show pricing. So with that cat out of the bag you could use Camaro manifolds non calif emissions. also opt for hooker ls block hugger manifolds. use the Novak mounts it just saves time and energy. The radiator can be a summit racing 22X19x3 and trimming to fit for 250 rather than Novaks insane 600 plus. use a 97 s10 manual T-case with 242? 6 pinion planetary. 94 ish Dakota front output shaft and yoke. Terraflex SYE kit. summit also sells advanced adapters 40 tooth reluctor wheel to put on what ever you want for speed input to PCM. use corvette crank pulley and water pump, fab your own alt ps mount or a holley ls bracket kit complete or just the alt ps bracket. a corvette alt ps bracket is like 60 to 90 bucks jobber but you will need a corvette alternator ok I guess if you don't have the truck alt and ps. look up holleys website for the brkt kits and the proper info. Early pre 96 Chickorees can swap to 96 up dash and center counsel to get elec speedo and better heat ac control as well as FRIGGIN cup holders. also early can use grand Cherokee seats with later XJ seat bracket and addl floor piece from later x, later xj owners can use grand chickoree seats on your existing frames
P.s. Pisser bout the trans Frank =( sorry to hear her go out like that)

Last edited:
Dam man I can't believe after all that the Jeep is done that sucks about the tranny issues and I'm kinda bummed I was wondering how the Novak radiator was going to work for you I'm putting a LT1 together for my XJ and I don't know what to do for a radiator with out spending a metric ton of money I'm assuming you never got to run the Novak radiator up to temp around town and the highway? If you did how did it work for you

Last edited:
Dam man I can't believe after all that the Jeep is done that sucks about the tranny issues and I'm kinda bummed I was wondering how the Novak radiator was going to work for you I'm putting a LT1 together for my XJ and I don't know what to do for a radiator with out spending a metric ton of money I'm assuming you never got to run the Novak radiator up to temp around town and the highway? If you did how did it work for you

There are a few other people recently that have done LS -based motor swaps.
I would search and/or check with them. Jeremy B, Hoooper, xj+rcks, someone from Canadia, and not sure what rad John D used for his.

I did get it running much cooler. I replaced the water pump with a new one (not a reman).

Just read the entire thread as I'm considering a V8 in my 90.

Sorry the transmission got the better of you. Did you ever figure out what the issue is with the transmissions?

Install your new oil pressure sending unit and water temperature sensor BEFORE you drop the motor in.
The only header that will fit the 5.3L in an XJ is the Sanderson header sold by Novak Conversions.
The only motor mount brackets on the market as of 06-07-10 are also from Novak.
Although it s possible to adapt a GM gauge cluster to work in an XJ, the amount of time spent doing the wiring and modifying the dash is huge.
Establishing and maintaining a good relationship with the local parts house will save you a lot of time and money.
With the right adapter ring, you can indeed run a GM fuel pump assembly in your 97+ gas tank.
Wiring in a new motor is not as complex as some believe, but basic understanding of electrical circuits is needed.
A stock AW4 shifter can be modified to control a 4L60E transmission and maintain a stock appearance.
Although the LSx truck intake makes more low end torque, the additional hood mods may not be desireable for some.
Braided fuel lines are the simplest means of connecting the engine to the fuel tank. Yes they cost more but the time savings is immense.
You don’t have to be a master fabricator to do this swap, but some basic skills are required.
You don’t have to re-invent the wheel to do this swap….and you don’t have to do it alone either. Take the time to read about what others have done and use their mistakes and success stories to simplify your project.

1. Yes
2. I used the Pace Setter's that are CARB legal and spent around $800 getting them to work. If you don't live in CA, then get the Novak's
3. No brainer, they are very reasonable in cost.
4. Agreed, unless you have an older XJ.
5. OMG yes.
6. I'm running the '87 pump, did not touch it, all stock.
7. Yes, i ran the Howell kit so i cheated.
8. I ran a Winter shifter.
9. Engine sticking out of hood or large hood scoop = bad-ass.
10. Agreed, spend the money on quality hose, adapters avail on Amazon.
11. I don't even know how to weld.
!2. YES! You should spend twice the amount of time researching then what the actual swap will take.

Just read the entire thread as I'm considering a V8 in my 90.

I think i read this post like 2-3 times as well before i dove in. Frank Z and john D pioneered this swap, or at least documented it, HUGE help. I think i did 7 months of research and the swap took me about 4 months (for some idiotic reason i thought i was only going to need a month or so for the swap....HAHAHA!!!!)

It will prob be easier on the '90 as far as instrumentation goes. I did my swap on an '87 which was super easy. Oil pres is a no brainer. Coolant temp: V8 has 2 heads, 1 head outlet for the gm ecu and 1 for the Jeep cluster. Let me know if your running the factory RPM gauge, i have a very simple fix (not requiring a controller) for that (using the GM ecu signal coupled to the Jeep gauge). And if you use the advanced adapters 4L60E to NP231 it comes with a speed sensor for the GM ecu, so all you gotta do is leave the gauge pickup in the transfer case for your gauge.

My .02: Spend the money when it comes to pre-fabbed parts that will plug and play.

Re: Re: 5.3L Vortec V8 Conversion

It will prob be easier on the '90 as far as instrumentation goes. I did my swap on an '87 which was super easy.......

Let me know if your running the factory RPM gauge, i have a very simple fix (not requiring a controller) for that (using the GM ecu signal coupled to the Jeep gauge).
And if you use the advanced adapters 4L60E to NP231 it comes with a speed sensor for the GM ecu, so all you gotta do is leave the gauge pickup in the transfer case for your gauge.
I will be going with a 96 5.7, so it's a non-Lx motor. I'm interested in the tach fix info.

Don't know why anyone would go and buy a $600 adapter for a transfer case to transmission when there's already a bolt-on solution that can be had from the junkyard for $100. I have a short shaft 231J that will be either built into a bastard box, or moved over to the wife's 94 ZJ.

Back