• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5.3 Vortec California Legal Swap

Did the engine come from California originally? or where did you get it from?

Sorry for the delay. It came from a California truck originally.

Update: Got the ECU back after the tune. Tires chirp while shifting into 2nd @ ~30mph. 0-60 time is roughly ~7.5 seconds which is slower than I thought it would be. If I stomp on it at 40mph the speedo maxes out (passes the 85mph max on the gauge and gets hung up on the 0mph rest peg) VERY quickly. Going to take it up to Black Rock dessert for a max speed test although I am not really concerned with top speed as she spends most her days in the torque band on the trails or towing.

Weird. I would have thought 0-60 would be faster, too. Especially if it chirps tires at 30. Is it a dog off the line or what? Traction issues at launch?

Weird. I would have thought 0-60 would be faster, too. Especially if it chirps tires at 30. Is it a dog off the line or what? Traction issues at launch?

Really kicks in at 15mph. Although, my timer is me counting in my head so I may be off a bit.....

Just curious why it is not smog legal to have a manual transmission with this conversion. Is it because there are no factory 5.3L with a manual?
I don't know about Nevada but that's why it wouldn't be kosher in California. 4.8 with nv 3500, sure. 6.0 with nv 4500, yeah, you betcha. 5.3? 4L60e or GTFO

I don't know about Nevada but that's why it wouldn't be kosher in California. 4.8 with nv 3500, sure. 6.0 with nv 4500, yeah, you betcha. 5.3? 4L60e or GTFO

You could get the 4.8 with a 5 speed in the Silverado, at least outside of California. A friend of mine has a factory V-8/5-Speed Sportside that he special ordered that way back in '04.

?? Yeah, I said that. The 4800 came with the NV3500 stick shift (five speed) or the 4L60e auto.
The 5.3, though, I don't think came with a manual.

Can't believe I missed that, sorry.

I asked why he didn't go bigger when he ordered it, and he told me that the 4.8l was the biggest you could get the stick shift behind. He's actually built it into a pretty damned healthy sport truck with a Magnuson Supercharger and nitrous, but built the 4.8l instead of the going bigger.

Some finished pics. Long overdue.

The money shot:
FullSizeRender7.jpg

Still have to make a true water tight snorkel/intake, Spectre California legal intake kit. WJ booster and master with a Wilwood proportioning valve. BMW p/s reservoir (they are hella cheap and have a built in filter), still have to one up with a w/s washer reservoir, factory one wont fit after the WJ brake upgrade.
FullSizeRender6.jpg

Yes I have two a/c compressors, one for cold air and the other for compressed air. Factory "problematic" expansion tank (will have an aluminum one shortly), modified battery tray and....well pretty much everything is modified in this pic.
FullSizeRender5.jpg

IMG_4427.jpg

Hood scoop semi-finished:
IMG_4430.jpg

PS: don't know why these pics are sooooo small, I will try to get larger ones up.

Last edited:
Pretty irritated. I developed a leak in between my t-case and tranny. Pulled the t-case off today and found that there is NO output shaft seal on the 4WD version of the 4L60E. There is supposed to be fluid in between the t-case and the tranny. I didn't know this at first so I didn't seal the adapter properly.

Lesson learned. SEAL YOUR ADAPTER PROPERLY!

Yep.

Question to OP:

Did you get the accessory kit because you wanted to run 2 a/c compressors, or because the engine wouldn't fit without it? I have all my parts on order for the swap, but this is last piece I need to figure out.

Question to OP:

Did you get the accessory kit because you wanted to run 2 a/c compressors, or because the engine wouldn't fit without it? I have all my parts on order for the swap, but this is last piece I need to figure out.
I was under the impression (due to much research) it would not fit. After I had everything installed (not returnable) I realized that the stock compressor would fit :huh:.

So yes, the stock compressor will fit, on the plus side I will have engine powered air, once I finish the system. It will be nice when I upgrade to 33" tires and want to air down.

Is that the stock GM A/C unit? I finally gave up on the stock XJ compressor when I swapped on Novak headers and the compressor lines (which go out the back of my compressor) had no chance of fitting anymore. If thats the stock GM a/c im going to have to pick that up.

With the KWIK brackets, can you fit a stock truck PS pump with built in reservoir, or does it have to be a car pump with remote res?

I saw you posted about going sideways on the freeway. Speaking from experience, thats something you definitely want to avoid. Controlling a 50 mph power slide in a Jeep is really REALLY not fun.

Is that the stock GM A/C unit? I finally gave up on the stock XJ compressor when I swapped on Novak headers and the compressor lines (which go out the back of my compressor) had no chance of fitting anymore. If thats the stock GM a/c im going to have to pick that up.

With the KWIK brackets, can you fit a stock truck PS pump with built in reservoir, or does it have to be a car pump with remote res?

I saw you posted about going sideways on the freeway. Speaking from experience, thats something you definitely want to avoid. Controlling a 50 mph power slide in a Jeep is really REALLY not fun.

The stock GM unit is below. The one on the top is a universal Sanden compressor from Kwik. You cannot fit the stock GM pump with the Kwik brackets, you must use a remote reservoir and modify the Kwik bracket. I used a BMW reservoir part number: 32 41 6 851 217 about $20 and has a built in filter, i can get the part number for the bracket that holds it as well.

And yes, accelerating you gotta stay on top of it, or just take it easy. It definitely helps with the LSD. And no it will not go sidways at 50mph, that would be scary in an XJ :skull2:.

You are correct.

PS the inspection took about two hours. They checked EVERYTHING. The cats have to be within two inches of the factory 5.3 location. Even the 4WD function for the GM ECU has to be functional :eek:.

This is my conundrum looking at things and planning. Have any pictures of your setup?

Thanks!

Back