• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

44 or 8.25

XJ_ranger said:
9"? so you can drag your pinion on everything?

I would gladly trade my 9 for a 44 any day...

I can get you a stock XJ d44, each pay shipping?

or add a pinion skid.

XJ_ranger said:
9"? so you can drag your pinion on everything?

I would gladly trade my 9 for a 44 any day...

that is so true... 9 inches aren't really that great unless you get a hi9 or something and in that case you're spending some change... I had a chance for a 9 inch for 150 and passed on it because of this

LilRedRover said:
that is so true... 9 inches aren't really that great unless you get a hi9 or something and in that case you're spending some change... I had a chance for a 9 inch for 150 and passed on it because of this

I must be missing something in my thinking...So adding a pinion skid and hearing it hit rocks would cause you to trade an axle that can be built to hold 40s for an axle that can hold 35s? I mean yeah its gonna drag, but it would be the skid plate that covers the actual pinion :confused:

I understand if its a stock 9", but when someone has a 9" bolt in ready for an XJ and says he'd trade for a d44, I am game.

Last edited:
ZachMan said:
I must be missing something in my thinking...So adding a pinion skid and hearing it hit rocks would cause you to trade an axle that can be built to hold 40s for an axle that can hold 35s? I mean yeah its gonna drag, but it would be the skid plate that covers the actual pinion :confused:

I understand if its a stock 9", but when someone has a 9" bolt in ready for an XJ and says he'd trade for a d44, I am game.

have you seen a 9 inch installed? With the clearance difference between a 44 and a 9, you need 40 inch tires to keep it off the ground (exaggerating of course) but 9s do hang down quite a bit for my taste. If you're gonna lose that much clearance, might as well do the 60

LilRedRover said:
might as well do the 60

I understand that :sunshine:

jwtrapper said:
I just pulled my 29 spline 8.25 for an 8.8 swap. I'll give you the 8.25 if you want it. I have pulled the brake lilines off of it though.

I got lines he can have

CRASH said:
....Don't kid yourselves kiddies, no one ever stops at 33's and 4.56's. Admit that early and save coin inthe long run.

No disrespect, but not always true. I'm happy with 4.56's in my 8.25 axle and 32's. Yeah, I could even go to 33's with my setup; but with 32's and 5.5" of lift I didn't have to trim fenders or even flairs. I live on the Pacific NorthCoast, and any hint of a scratch on sheetmetal is an open opportunity for rust due to my proximity to the ocean... I just have a vision of all my fenders rusting away if I cut into them.

My XJ is my daily driver, and I know my and my rig's wheeling limitations. If I wanted something more "beefy", I'd build a buggy and trailer it around; and not even bother sinking that kind of coin in my XJ. But my reality is that I just tool around on logging roads and explore for new fishing holes. My XJ is built just right for that type of wheeling....I see no benefit in me swapping out my 29 spline 8.25, to a D44.

A while back someone here had posted that once they looked back at all the mods they did to their jeep, it soon it quickly became a trailer queen. In the long run they wished they hadn't gone as far as they had.

Yes, I get "Jeep Envy" every now and then when I see really built up XJ's; but I just remind myself of how content I'm with my set up.

YMMV... :)

That's why everyone needs three XJ's:

A daily driver with a budget boost and 30's.

A camping rig with 32's.

And a rock/desert rig with 37's.

Ivan said:
No disrespect, but not always true. I'm happy with 4.56's in my 8.25 axle and 32's. Yeah, I could even go to 33's with my setup; but with 32's and 5.5" of lift I didn't have to trim fenders or even flairs. I live on the Pacific NorthCoast, and any hint of a scratch on sheetmetal is an open opportunity for rust due to my proximity to the ocean... I just have a vision of all my fenders rusting away if I cut into them.

My XJ is my daily driver, and I know my and my rig's wheeling limitations. If I wanted something more "beefy", I'd build a buggy and trailer it around; and not even bother sinking that kind of coin in my XJ. But my reality is that I just tool around on logging roads and explore for new fishing holes. My XJ is built just right for that type of wheeling....I see no benefit in me swapping out my 29 spline 8.25, to a D44.

A while back someone here had posted that once they looked back at all the mods they did to their jeep, it soon it quickly became a trailer queen. In the long run they wished they hadn't gone as far as they had.

Yes, I get "Jeep Envy" every now and then when I see really built up XJ's; but I just remind myself of how content I'm with my set up.

YMMV... :)

Back