• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.88 or 4.56?

gears

89TrailXJ said:
Well I am going to 33's and want to re-gear as well.
Here's what I found:
4:56's with install kits- $326
Add a Detroit EZ Locker- $252

So for $580ish I can upgrade gears and to a rear locker. Sound about right?

Website is: http://www.drivetrainsuperstores.com/

gears

wanted to hit you back channel on this one.
326$ didn't sound quite right after looking at there web site.
a dana 30 4.56 is $126
front master install kit $62
rear d35 gears $126
rear master install kit $ 95

Thats $409.
unless you went with minor install kits. but I recomend allways installing new bearings. its worth the extra few $$$.

I can tell you right now that i could give you better pricing than what is on there web site.
what year is your jeep? axles? current ratio? Tranny? tire size?
Ryan Brown
Rawbrown
[email protected]
760-505-9924:callme:

89TrailXJ said:
Here's what I found:

ok... it didn't go back channel...

ooops.

crazy4mopar said:
AND way better gas milage :) :) :)
Just out of curiosity - did you change your speedometer gear? If not, your odometer would be off and you'd be registering extremely high MPG's.

For example: on my rig, I went from 3.07's to 4.88's - since I haven't changed the speedometer gear, yet, my speedometer and odometer are WAY OFF. When I go 50 MPH actual, my speedometer shows 75 MPH. This means that my speedometer and odometer are reading 50% too high. If I don't make a correction for that when I calculate my MPG, it will also be 50% high. So, right now I'm showing over to 22 MPG's - but, the reality is that I'm getting about 15 MPG's.

AHHHH that is a good point on recalibration.

Fresh rebuilt NON HO 4L (not even close to a HO power), 4:56's, AW4, 33" Swampers, 2100 rpm's @ 65 mph, recalibrated speddo, and a lousy 13-15mpg. Single digits in 4WD. Thankfully it's a trail rig. :rof:

BTW.....is this thread ever going to die? LOL.... great reference post for the future.

Lee who did your gears? How much?

89TrailXJ said:
Here's what I found:

I got quoted $1,040.00 to install 4:56's (running 33 superswampers..to be changed to procomp at's when these wear out), parts, labor for the regearing and also changing out the wheel ujoints (ujoints provided by me). My locker's already in, so..just to give you a ball park figure. It's being done next week, so info is current.

$1040?

what are they charging for labor?

$1040 is HIGH for just a gear install. RawBrown did my entire drivetrain for a little over that...EXCILENT work I should add ;)

Read, it includes parts, i think this price is OK, even with the additional work for the u-joints.

Man! This thread is like the Energizer Bunny. Chuck went to 4:88 too. He runs 33's. We both went ahead and put our own gears in. It really isn't that hard. All you have to do is read and understand as much information as you can on how to do it, and take your time. We will probably be regearing the front axle next month.

Keeps going and going and going....I just did my 4.46 install today with 33's MUCH better than stock. It was NOT hard at all, just a little bit technical. With the right tools, dial indicator, bluing, etc, it wasn't that bad (I'm not touching the front axle though....my hands took enough of a beating taking the carrier out and putting it back in). I got it done in a day. I vote do it yourself if you have the time and motivation. aka no $$$$

xjblaine said:
Keeps going and going and going....I just did my 4.46 install today with 33's MUCH better than stock. It was NOT hard at all, just a little bit technical. With the right tools, dial indicator, bluing, etc, it wasn't that bad (I'm not touching the front axle though....my hands took enough of a beating taking the carrier out and putting it back in). I got it done in a day. I vote do it yourself if you have the time and motivation. aka no $$$$

I put the 4:88 in mine :rtm:

Neil said:
Man! This thread is like the Energizer Bunny. Chuck went to 4:88 too. He runs 33's. We both went ahead and put our own gears in. It really isn't that hard. All you have to do is read and understand as much information as you can on how to do it, and take your time. We will probably be regearing the front axle next month.

Hey, Energizer Bunny! When are we going to do those 30's? :callme: I'm taking Thursday and Friday OFF!

Just as an opinion, and we all know what those are like, but i am running 4.88's and 35's with a beefed up shafts and ujoints D30 and I have 0 problems, (knocking on wood). I once had 4.10's and 33's and it would fall in and out of OD on the highway. Plus the 4.10's were faster for about a week until i realized I should have geared lower. Basically, don't hesitate to go lower if it is that little of a difference. I could understand not doing 5.13's cause its your DD, but so is mine and 4.88's have been just fine for 2 years now.

Back