• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"4.56--thats crazy!"

threads like these should never be allowed to get past one post.

JAS said:
I have calculated the following

33 inch tires at 4.56 gears is witin 5% of the 27 inch tires and 3.55 gears that my jeep came with stock.

Best post in this thread. I swear you guys are overthinking this. All he needs to do is change the gears to counteract the oversized tires. Engine, transmission and t-case are irrelevant. If stock was 3:55s w/ 27" tires and he now has 32"s, he should have 4.20s. Since they don't make those, I would lean toward the shorter side and go with 4.56. It's that simple.

JaMMin2525 said:
i went 4.10's with 32's. I do most street and offroading prolly once a month. They work great for me offroad and im getting 19 street 21 highway mpg :p

I hate you. I am only up to 15 mpg with my 4.56 and 32's.

Was 13 before the regear.

Motornoggin said:
Best post in this thread. I swear you guys are overthinking this. All he needs to do is change the gears to counteract the oversized tires. Engine, transmission and t-case are irrelevant. If stock was 3:55s w/ 27" tires and he now has 32"s, he should have 4.20s. Since they don't make those, I would lean toward the shorter side and go with 4.56. It's that simple.
Ummm and forget the gained weight and gained height with the latter resulting in increased air resistance thus requiring a bit more oompf to move it?

IH8RDS said:
So your saying that 4.56 is ok with 31" tires :wave: seriously want to know

Thanks
Scott
i loved it when i had it.

If you look at the charts that show how many teeth on the speedo gear for the tire size you can get an idea which gears will get you back CLOSE to stock from a power/rpm perspective. I have a friend (don't we all) who is running 4.56's in his older XJ with a 3.4? Chevy crate V-6, whatever the replacement was for the 2.8, 5spd, with 31's and loves them. I plan to do the same with mine eventually, 99 auto with 4.0

One of the things that I have seen almost NO thought given to, and one of the reasons I think everyone likes the slightly steeper than stock gearing is the fact that 31's on steel rims weigh nearly or more than twice what stock tires on aluminum rims weigh, a pretty dramatic increase in unsprung weight and weight you have to get turning from a stop. 4.56's just naturally do this better than 4.10's. They get much heavier as you go up from 31 too.

my .02

IH8RDS said:
So your saying that 4.56 is ok with 31" tires :wave: seriously want to know

Thanks
Scott

have your ANYTHING in this thread? too wide of a mis-match for DD use IMHO. definately fun off the line at every light, but prohibitively high RPM on the highway. at least for regular use. i ran 4.56s on my stock 205s for 2 weeks a while back before my lift and it was real fun and i liked it, BUT it was not a good match.

currrently running 3.55s/31s/AX-15 and the RPM/speedo are very close to stock configuration.

doing 4.56s and 33s this month expecting the same.

I can't believe this thread is still alive. Yes I recalibrated my spedometer as well and yes I have an overhead console that reads within 2 tenths of a mile for a full tank. If we had the chart....maybe it wouldn't have gotten this far.

sure thing big guy :wave:

If I was shopping for a new "SHAFT" and the "INSTALLER" gave me the option of the 7 inch, which would get the job done or the 9 inch, which would give me a few more options down the road.........well anyway,

4.0+AW4+np231+33's+offroad entheusiast=4.56 :conceited

Well I still havnt gotten my gears yet but I was thinking about it the other day and I got myself all confused. With 4.56 wouldnt you need less throttle to get up to higher speeds?? Then why do your RPM's go up when you regear it, it would seem like that if your RPM's go up then you would have to be pressing the peddle harder but your supposed to be getting more power and probly a lower topspeed.

Back