• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0 wiring help! Please!

livinthedream

NAXJA Forum User
I just put a 4.0 from a 95 xj that rolled into my 95 xj shell that previously had a 4.0 in it. I got it all bolted up to the tranny and tcase and all that. Just need it all wired up. Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated!!!! im in san diego/ el cajon

Thanks!
Guy

are you missing the harness or something? 95 4.0 to 95 4.0 should be no problem :dunno:

Or are you asking what goes where? just about every plug in the engine bay only fits one place, once you lay the harness across the firewall it should be pretty obvious... at least it was when I swapped my 95 engine and harness into a new shell a couple months ago.

well... one of the harnesses that runs right behind the engine block is cut off so the dude that swapped the motors cut the donor motor harness to match. Basically I'm looking for someone to do the wiring for me? id rather pay a NAXJA member Thanks Grimm for helping me clarify!

Thanks!
Guy

Last edited:
why in gods name would he cut the donor harness?? it unplugs at the firewall and comes off in one piece :doh:

Personally I would go to the junkyard and grab the engine bay harness from a junker, I want to say any OBDI xj would work, but I can't say for sure. 91-95 are virtually the same except for the steering column, 96 and above and the renix jeeps are both completely different.

splicing that many wires is just asking for trouble, good luck man.

If I were closer I'd help you out man, sorry. at the very least I would make sure someone who knows what they're doing solders and heat shrinks those wires, butt connectors have no place in the engine bay.

oh no not the one thats like on the drivers side of the firewall that stuff is all hooked up, the one that is pretty much in the middle.... i know he is pretty much retarded and ended up bailing on me anyways...

Idk if this helps your case at all but I have a full harness from a 98 not sure you could use it but just thought I'd let you know...

its all one piece, the entire harness in the engine bay is attached together, and unplugs via the large bulkhead connector that enters the cab under the brake booster. there are also a couple of smaller bundles that go through to the back of the steering column and to the trans computer (if it's an auto). It all comes out as one piece, I pulled the whole thing and left it attached to the engine when I moved it into the new body.

Tone - not much if any of that harness will work in his jeep. OBDII and OBDI use different sensors and other assorted crap.

95 was the last year for OBD I, OBD II started in 96. I can't tell you much beyond that, but the ECU is different and it wouldn't surprise me at all if the harness itself is different. If you are lucky and your XJ was built in late 95 it *may* be an OBD II model, but mine is a november production date and is still OBD I.

this would be my 3rd cherokee... know anyone that wants a project?? i went through the engine and replaced all the seals and gaskets and it ran great. comes with rc 4.5 kit front and back and 35s?

Back