• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0 on an engine stand?

always89

NAXJA Forum User
This may seem silly, but I just cant seem to bring myself to believe that the 4 bolts in the block are enough to support the engine on the stand. Anyone had problems with the holes stripping out? Seems like alot of forward weight for those cast holes to support. Any thoughts?

Try putting a big block v8 on a stand then your worries will go away.

I thought this too, but i have a block thats been sitting on a stand for 2 or 3 months with no issues. Watch it fall no that i said this.

The bolts aren't really an issue. Four grade 8 bolts are plenty strong enough. Make sure the rest of the engine stand is suitable.

The I-6 weighs more then a lot of V-8s, and more importantly, it's center of gravity is further out, and it will be really "tippy". Use a stand that has 2 forward wheels, or better yet, two legs running forward.

No trouble - I've had a dressed short block on a "T"-based stand out in the garage for the last year and a half without any issues. Used doubled flat washers under the screw heads for added insurance (I didn't want to see them trying to pull into the knuckles,) and did the same thing for the bolts and nuts that hold the knuckles to the head plate.

And, half the time, I've got stuff stacked on the top anyhow.

What is the thread size for the bell housing bolts and how long to clear an average stand? I am about to pull mine and forgot to grab one to check the size. Im on my way to a friends house where surgery is being performed...

The top 2 are 3/8-16, the two on the sides are 7/16-14. I kept my flywheel on my engine and have plenty of room to clear with 3" of spacer between the engine and the mounting plate.

Back