• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0 0331 Head Swap '00 XJ Sport

Head Bolts being readied to be removed:

IMG_4409.jpg

Here is another rockers removed for clarity:

IMG_4410.jpg

Oh my god dude, that valve cover looks BAD. I thought mine was bad with a slight milkshake. Was your oil pressure within the specs? Personally, i'd be concerned with that.

Oh, and i'm STILL waiting for my head to ship in.

I also found it much easier to remove the radiator, but obviously, it isn't necessary.

Next shot/angle with the exhaust manifolds moved away from the head:

IMG_4411.jpg

Front exhaust stud that will have to be transferred to the new head:

IMG_4412.jpg

Head bolts removed:

IMG_4448.jpg

The moment of truth, the head is gone!!!!:

IMG_4449.jpg

Another angle of the bare block top, the coolant you see was some of the residual from the head as it came out:

IMG_4450.jpg

The head gasket as it was stuck to a part of the block that lead me to believe that was the area that got hot/cracked or the head gasket was damaged in:

IMG_4451.jpg

Another angle of the head gasket, stuck to block around the #3/#4 cylinder pushrod chamber:

IMG_4453.jpg

Head gasket removed:

IMG_4454.jpg

Head off the block, being inspected initially:

IMG_4455.jpg

Another angle of removed head:

IMG_4456.jpg

Back side of head removed, 180k miles on this head by the way, and I am figuring that this is the original head:

IMG_4456.jpg

Top of block nearly cleaned up:

IMG_4458.jpg

More pictures to follow later this evening.....

Jeff

With so much coolant in your oil I would be concerned about the health of your main bearings. Have you had any indication that you have spun a bearing? Knocking?

Not sure how long you need your vehicle back but may be worth just pulling and going through it while you have it apart. The work will be much easier with the block on a stand anyway :repair: :dunno:

With so much coolant in your oil I would be concerned about the health of your main bearings. Have you had any indication that you have spun a bearing? Knocking?

Not sure how long you need your vehicle back but may be worth just pulling and going through it while you have it apart. The work will be much easier with the block on a stand anyway :repair: :dunno:

That coolant was on the upper half of the engine. Nothing in the pan oil. No knocking, or any issues that would indicate the bearings are worn. Most of what you are seeing on the top of the engine is actually oil. I was running Rotella 15W40 prior to this swap, as well as a bottle of Lucas oil stabilizer. These two items might have saved my bearings, as well as catching it early, and as you will see later, the total failure and why you really should evaluate it first, then swap it out if you are in doubt.

Jeff

Next rounds, after cleaning the block up:

IMG_4459.jpg

Another of the prepped and ready block:

IMG_4461.jpg

Head gasket in place:

IMG_4462.jpg

New cast head in position, with a few of the head bolts going in:

IMG_4463.jpg

Head down and ready for torquing, bolts and studs being placed into the proper positions:

IMG_4464.jpg

The illustrious #11 bolt and the sealant for the threads since this is the only bolt going through a water passage/jacket:

IMG_4469.jpg

Torque sequence according to the Haynes repair manual, as I don't have a FSM just yet:

IMG_4470.jpg

Torque specs in three steps:

IMG_4472.jpg

Back