• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0 0331 Head Swap '00 XJ Sport

Next stage with the three vac lines removed:

IMG_4378.jpg

Next round of sensors unplugged, as well as fuel line disconnected, injector/sensor channel is in the upper right of this shot near the firewall, where it was well out of the way for the swap:

IMG_4381.jpg

Here is the intake removed:

IMG_4382.jpg

Next shot where I was removing the valve cover bolts, as well as moved the wiring channel around the top of the engine:

IMG_4383.jpg

Here is the intake ports, #1, and #2 on the head:

IMG_4384.jpg

Next shot:

IMG_4385.jpg

Here is the #1, #2 intake ports up close:

IMG_4386.jpg

Next round, with the exhaust manifolds ready to pull away from the head:

IMG_4388.jpg

Here is the first view of the valve cover:

IMG_4389.jpg

I know what you are thinking here.....well keep looking....

Here is a full on view:

IMG_4391.jpg

Yes the coolant was coming up into the top of my engine......:scared:

Lets now look at the engine:

IMG_4392.jpg

The top of the engine didn't look all that bad. There was some indication of the antifreeze having gotten up here:

IMG_4393.jpg

However, I didn't like just how crudded up the parts looked from both the coolant and the sludge from what appeared to be the same culprit here, on the engine....PO lack of maintenance of cooling system..... :banghead:
Also note there is no chocolate milking of the engine oil dipstick....which wasn't one of my indicators of a cracked head or blown head gasket, as the engine wasn't running abnormally hot, or misfiring either. Coolant was limited to here from what I can tell.....

Here is another view:

IMG_4394.jpg

Here is one of just the various components removed:

IMG_4395.jpg

Cylinder #1 rockers:

IMG_4401.jpg

Cylinder #2 Rockers:

IMG_4402.jpg

Cylinder #3 Rockers:

IMG_4402.jpg

Cylinder #4 Rockers:

IMG_4404.jpg