• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

39.5's or > on stock motor and trans?

JamesD

NAXJA Forum User
Who all is running 39.5's or bigger on the factory six and stock trans. List of mods of what you are running would be great. I just hate to spend the money to make all of this work and then have to throw a v8 and different tranny in to get it to move onces I have spent the money to make it work with that. Oh yeah I have an 89 with a 5 speed and 231. Thanks

James

you best be havin some deeeeeeeeeep gears especially with the five speed.

any motor and trans will push it and survive, as long as the gears are deep enough and then some, speaking of i've always wanted to build a 4cyl toyota buggy on 40's............

What do you plan on using the Jeep for? Mudbogging, rock crawling, mall cruzin :cool: ? If you are running deep mud and want to go bogging, you are going to need lots of horsepower to really spin the tires. For rock crawling lots of torque down low in the RPM range will help with the crawling. If you will be mall cruzin :cool: it doesnt really matter since its the mall :D

If it where mine, I would build a stroker and make sure the axles are geared low somewhere in the 5.38 range. Then when the T-case wears out/blows up swap in an Atlas, Stak, or D300. This would work well for the terrain I run which is slick east coast rocks.

AARON

I'm running 39.5 IROCs with stock 4.0 & auto trans. Ive got Atlas transfer & 5.13 gears in full width axles. I feel i have plenty of power.

Well I am looking into some 2.5 ton military axles so I am going to mod it quite a bit but I guess my biggest question is what all can I use if I change over to a V8 and which V8 will go in the easiest. I can get SBC cheap. Also what about transmission to transfer cases. If I get a Dana 300 can I use it on a V8 and on selection of transmission which would you all recommend. Thanks

James

I used to run a Renix 4.0, AX-15, Atlas 3.8, 39.5 TSLs. 4.88s in the diffs. It crawled pretty good- but there were a few times on the super steep stuff where a lot more HP would have been nice.

Small Chevy's supposed to be an easy swap, the exhaust is a lot easier than on an AMC 8.

shortxjdoug said:
you best be havin some deeeeeeeeeep gears especially with the five speed.
?? you don't know what your talking about espcially the five speed?

Well a buddy of mine just pulled his V8 out of his CJ woudl that be a good change over?? I think it's like the 80-86 CJ-7 Hmmmm Maybe bolt up to tranny? He pulled it because it said no oil pressure once it warmed up but no noises or anything. Smoked a little. Possible re-build and chunk it in?

vetteboy said:
The 5-speed transmission in your '89 is not worth its weight in crap. It barely holds together under a stock rig.
Unless it's a late 89 with an AX-15, then you might be okay.

It'd probably be a good idea to upgrade to a real 'truck tranny' like an NV4500 or an NP435, though, both for the strength (iron case) and the lower first gear.

To add to that no v-8 will go in easy and I would not put anything in a stock cherokee behind any v-8. JMHO. As for what v-8 the chevy 350 has been done on here. I want to do a 5.0 HO ford personally. But that is not going to happen any time soon. I just got a 4.0 to try out. No more 2.5 for me. :explosion

SO do a SBC for ease of attaining with the NV4500 or an NP435 and that should be sufficient. Will a D300 work well with this? Thanks

What do you plan on doing with it?

I ran the 1988 4.0 5sp with a 231 JBSYE 1tons 5.13gears and 38s, then later 42s. The t-case gearing sucked and i knew the tranny and t-case sucked.. I wheeled it for afew years and never broke the tranny or t-case. Lots of clutch work and stalling in the rocks.

I was going to keep the 4.0 and swap in a nice AW4 mated to 79 dodge 203 with a ford 205 behind it. so 4:1 behind a 4 speed auto. but I had a 350 sitting in my garage with a th400 (3 speed auto) np203 behind it so I just swapped the whole engine in. 350-th400-203-205 Its sweet.

If you do 2.5tons your gonna want larger then 39s becuase its so wide, My 42s look good at 84in out side tire, your looking at 90+in widths. Id do 44in TSL, 46in claw, or the new 47in LTB.. upgraded rockwell shafts and stuff....

Im happed I chose 1tons over 2.5 tons. just too wide for out tight arizona trails.

swap in a aw4, peterbuilt is runnin a stock 4.0 with aw4 and a atlas on 39" boggers, and ridin with his i can tell ya theres still plenty of power

I',m running 38's on currie XD 9 rear (35 spline shafts), front D-44 (ARB, 4340shafts, 30 spline and CTM's) at 5.38 gears, and an Atlas 4 speed. 01 XJ 4.0, AW-4. The tranny has a over sized cooler, Air filter and cat back on the engine. Tranny isn't pushed too hard, engine has plenty of torque to move it all. It's a dedicated rock crawler, works well.
Front 9 in the works.

Back