• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

35" on Stock Axles???

hello, i have the super 35 axle upgrade with the detroit locker in the rear. i love it! and i have beat the hell out of it. my motto is " wheel it like you stole it". before the upgrade it was stock- open. with 33''s with no problems.

The one thing that hasn't been mentioned that has a lot to do with the durability of the axles is the transmission. If you run a stick, you will be a lot more likely to pop axles. An automatic is a lot easier on them. Don't ask me how I know :laugh3:

i think there are too many pessimists. i don't plan on going much over 31s, so i probably don't need to upgrade. if someone wants to upgrade though, we should be supportive so someday maybe there will be more for the 35. the axle is super common, there must be millions of them. right now we have the super 35. how does this compare to the dana44? i am also talking weight here too, because the 44 is a beast. the super 35 has the option of the arb or the detroit and i hear the ox as well. a trussed, low geared, locked 35 would be an expensive upgrade, would it be worth it? i can't stand that the 8.8 doesn't line up with the output shaft whatsoever. its nitpicking, but that's me. also, one of the key advantages to having a cherokee is weight savings. i had a 44 from the junkyard i sold on ebay, that thing was a beast. i want light and strong. the only reason i am needing to upgrade is because i want an electrac or ECTED. if they made it for the super 35, i'd go that route. maybe i'll go toyota and have some custom 5 lug flanges made. suggestions anyone?

Too bad you aren't running the early non C-clip axles. Poomba gave me a set of spares that I have been trying to give away. If anybody needs a set and is willing to pay the shipping, you can have them.

this axle being barely adequate is a bunch of b/s!
DO i want a dana 44 or ford 8.8
yes
can i afford it
no
I already wasted the savings in 4.56 gears for these axles and i run 33's. no issues whatsoever as of yet. I think if your careful 35's wont be a problem. I posted a similiar thread and i got that out of it. I dont wheel my jeep as hard now becasue it is my only rig and i dont want to be taking the bus everywhere
BUt if you have the money swapping this axle would be a good idea
I think they should make a upgrade kit for this rear axle that is far less expensive as the super 35. why cant rought country make there way into that market. HAHAHA

dellstopjeep said:
I think they should make a upgrade kit for this rear axle that is far less expensive as the super 35. why cant rought country make there way into that market. HAHAHA
The do i'll list a few 8.8 d44 8.25 d60 all work nicely go to a couple bone yards find one you like. or cheeper yet look in back yards around town someone is bound to have a truck with an adaquit donor axle for next to free. i got my 8.8 for 325 out of a bone yard and gears for under 200 from drivetrain superstores. if you search hard enough you can find one with 4.10 or 4.56. and let me tell you the disk brakes are a huge benifit. swaps eazy. don't spend money, time, hassle on the 35. when you break it will be at the worst possible time. ooo yea i put a locker in my 8.8 so if anyone wants a LS carier it's up for grabs.

if you want light strong and high clearance, toyota 8" all the way

old_man said:
The one thing that hasn't been mentioned that has a lot to do with the durability of the axles is the transmission. If you run a stick, you will be a lot more likely to pop axles. An automatic is a lot easier on them. Don't ask me how I know :laugh3:

Hello, I run a 4L HO and the AX-15 manual and am often not having much fun til the motor's over 4,000 RPM. I run 33x13.50x15 heavy bias ply Swamper LTB's on a 4.10 geared D35 from an MJ, with a lunchbox locker. Often, the jeep is wheeling in 2WD. I welded the holes where the axle tubes are pressed into the housing, and that's it. No truss, no super 35, no beefier shafts, no nothin. I'm telling you that this axle has been bulletproof for over a year now.

If you wheel it hard, it may well break. But you might get lucky like me. If you can regear it cheap, go for it. If not, find something beefier with gears already installed and live it up. Just my 2 cents. Read my sig.

Jared :patriot:

this has been beat to death, I am sure. wouldn't trussing the axle solve nearly all the problems we see with d35s? to me, beef might not be worth the tradeoff for weight. one of the main advantages of the cherokee is the light weight. we are seeing guys put 35" tires with 3.75" BS wheels (more leverage) on axles made for 27-29" tires. what were really looking for is a better solution to swapping, though there might not be one in the case of 35"s. the axle housing bends, causing the shafts to no longer be turning on the same plane, and thereby tearing up the differential and carrier which are sensitive to any change in tolerances. weld some gussets to the 35 and this may never happen. they must have had some faith in the strength of this axle under heavy torque loads if they were willing to mate it behind 225 ft-lbs of torque and low range.

even with no flex in the housing you could still easily snap those shafts, they're twigs. I've seen Super 35s that are trussed work fairly well (but it's cheaper to just get a D44). The D35 has plenty of problems even past housing flex, shaft strength, carrier strength, R&P strength... Poomba (and several NAXJA people helping him) was on Fordyce trail until 4am because of the stupid pathetic straps on the D35 breaking several times. A guy I work with broke his D35 yoke in two just from torque (totally stock drivetrain), it never hit anything.

Get rid of the D35 and stop making excuses.

Back