• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

33's

brandonrobxj

NAXJA Forum User
I am thinking of going from 31's to 33's I have a trailmaster lift with 4 inch in the front and 5 inch in the back. I was wondering if the 33's are to big? or is there anything else i should know?

because your putting a taller wider heavier tire on. Your drivetrain and gas card are going to suffer.

(4.10's are what you should be running now)

You need to search and research before you come out asking something so broad. Whether you have 3:55's or 3:73's....33's are gonna suck. Stick with 31;s if you dont have the money to regear. I have stock gear and 32's and i hate it. Loss of power, getting started on the highway up and incline is a nightmare, and downshifting happens ALOT. just something to consider....

you will lose ovedrive and lug the motor and transmission a lot. I have a stroker 3.55's and an aw4 with 33's, I do a lot of switching between 3rd and drive to keep the torque converter unlocked and the rpm's up. It is hard to do damage to an aw4, but it would be better to regear. The only reason I waited is because I think that regearing a 35 is like polishing a turd. I even have a set of 4.10's for the rear, carrier and all.

theNAST1EST said:
or go with 33x10.50s...theyre lighter and offer less rolling resistance than 32s even, much less 33x12.50s

the diameter of the tire has the greatest effect on how hard it is to turn a larger tire.

No, you do still have to, or at least you SHOULD. You're still going to a larger tire than your current 31x10.50. :doh:

brandonrobxj said:
so if i go with 33x10.5 i should not have to re gear

no

its all about mechanical advantage and simple machines. larger diameter tires require more force to turn them. the smaller width has only a small effect on how hard it is to turn because of less resistance.

That, and your tires will rub the rear bottom corner of the front wheel well openings at full droop.

On stock length arms, 33's rub.

I installed 33's on a 4.5 inch lift (hacksaw corner of fender to get them on) and went to the trail. Drove home with my fender flares in the back seat and bent fenders. Ran them on 4.10 gears. 4.10's were acceptable in south Louisiana (sea level = more power+ flat ground) but in the mountains I wanted more gearing.

Short answer? Yes you can fit them if you cut your fenders and bumpstop properly.
It will be very weak on power without regearing.

Bottom line. If you go larger than 31's You NEED to regear. It doesn't matter if it s a 33x9.50 or 10.50 or a 20.50 (ok i know im stretching it a bit on that one) you NEED to regear. No your jeep will not blow up or stop running if you don't regear, but it will kill you on gas a put strain on your tranny. Stick with your 31's, they will get you anywhere 33's will get you.

Back