• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

33's

Cherokeekid88 said:
...Stick with your 31's, they will get you anywhere 33's will get you.

You might have just opened...
can-of-worms.jpg

You mean the extra 1.5" of all around ground clearance doesn't help? So is it safe to say 30's will get you anywhere 31's will get you? If you believe that, you are also saying 30's will get you anywhere 33's will get you. :confused1

I have 33x12.50 MTRs with 3.07's and it is not the best setup, but it can work. It sucks on the trail, but its not horrible to drive on the road.

xj+rcks said:
I have 33x12.50 MTRs with 3.07's and it is not the best setup, but it can work. It sucks on the trail, but its not horrible to drive on the road.

BS, you wouldnt say that if you regeared

It's not that bad.

It's doable

It's Fine

There's nothing wrong with it

It works fine

It's really not that bad

No problems

ALL
= It sucks.

Regear your junk, and you will have a new opinion when another stupid 35 on stock gears threads pops up.

I agree with it sucking. I have a 4.7 that accelerates like a stocker cause I am running 33's. But his question wasen't what is the best thing to do. I thought he asked if it would work. And the answer is yes, if you want to, you can run a 33 on stock gearing, I am doing it. Hell, I tow a boat like this fairly often. Its not perfect, and as soon as I get around to finishing up my disc swap onto my 9" it will be getting 4.56 when it goes under. But the answer is that you can do it, and nothing will expload or fail horribly, except maybe u-joints

Bruce......Thats exactly what im saying. If someone is running a 30" MT and a 31" BFG MT, there is only .10 of an inch difference. BFG's run .2 of an inch small, so no .10 of an inch is not going to make a difference. Ive seen guys with 35's not go where guys with 32-33's can go. Ive seen guys with 35's go where someone with 36-37's cant go. Tires dont always determine where you can or cant go. This thread needs to be killed, there are always going to be people running Big ass tires on stock gearing and claiming its not that bad, when the bottom line is, you need to regear...Cant afford it??... then wait and save untill you can.

WoW i did open a can of worms.. or someone did. Gas milage is already crap or close to it and i have the 31's on it so i just think i will stay with them i cant see 33's looking much different or giving me any advantage. I will note i rarley take it off road anymore(yes a shame) it is more a DD

Cherokeekid88 said:
Bruce......Thats exactly what im saying. If someone is running a 30" MT and a 31" BFG MT, there is only .10 of an inch difference. BFG's run .2 of an inch small, so no .10 of an inch is not going to make a difference. Ive seen guys with 35's not go where guys with 32-33's can go. Ive seen guys with 35's go where someone with 36-37's cant go. Tires dont always determine where you can or cant go. This thread needs to be killed, there are always going to be people running Big ass tires on stock gearing and claiming its not that bad, when the bottom line is, you need to regear...Cant afford it??... then wait and save untill you can.

Um...30's are 1" smaller than 31's...not .1". Yeah, I have seen that too...if your comparing apples to apples and saying a locked/open in the rear 30" rig can go everywhere a locked/open in the rear 33" rig...you're wrong. But it's all going to depend on the terrain you're running too. Not sure about where you wheel, but I have experienced this on a local trail. My previous rigs have had larger tires than my current rig (it's a transitional vehicle) and I have not been able to do certain trails that I used to be able to do with ease in my other Jeeps. The tire just won't cut it in certain situations. Can a 30" rig go where a 31" rig goes....everything else equal, then usually so. Can a 33" rig go where 35" rig goes....again if all equal then usually so. BUT a 30" rig CANNOT always go where a 35" rig goes. If that were the case...why do people put 35" and 37"s on their rig when the tires are more than twice the cost???

Yes. If you can't afford to re-gear and have to wait, it's not going to kill you or your rig. hasta

brandonrobxj said:
WoW i did open a can of worms.. or someone did. Gas milage is already crap or close to it and i have the 31's on it so i just think i will stay with them i cant see 33's looking much different or giving me any advantage. I will note i rarley take it off road anymore(yes a shame) it is more a DD

If you had 3.73s or 4.10s your gas mileage wouldn't suck! ITS SIMPLE MATH, not some arbitrary thing. BIGGER TIRE = DEEPER GEARS. Just go 33s and REGEAR IT! Should cost about a grand to regear your axles.

:eeks1:

BruceB83 said:
Um...30's are 1" smaller than 31's...not .1". Yeah, I have seen that too...if your comparing apples to apples and saying a locked/open in the rear 30" rig can go everywhere a locked/open in the rear 33" rig...you're wrong. But it's all going to depend on the terrain you're running too. Not sure about where you wheel, but I have experienced this on a local trail. My previous rigs have had larger tires than my current rig (it's a transitional vehicle) and I have not been able to do certain trails that I used to be able to do with ease in my other Jeeps. The tire just won't cut it in certain situations. Can a 30" rig go where a 31" rig goes....everything else equal, then usually so. Can a 33" rig go where 35" rig goes....again if all equal then usually so. BUT a 30" rig CANNOT always go where a 35" rig goes. If that were the case...why do people put 35" and 37"s on their rig when the tires are more than twice the cost???

Yes. If you can't afford to re-gear and have to wait, it's not going to kill you or your rig. hasta

Ok im not going to argue you with you dude, But like i said my BFG MT's ACTUALLY measured to be two tenths of an inch smaller than advertised. which made them NOT a true 31" tire. Not only mine but 2 of my other buddies had the same tires and all measure smaller than advertised, looked into and like some shoe companies, BFG's run small. So yes, if a TRUE 30" tire was measured up to a 31" BFG, its not going to be a full 1" taller. The way your talking, it sounds like you think tires are everything in wheeling. They are a big part yes, but you also have to include driving skills, locked/limited slip/open diffs, lift, clearance, etc. I'm just telling you and im sure somone out there can back me up. When i had my 31's i was able to get in and out of stuff my buddy couldn't do and he was on 33's (Both MT's). And he also just said that, his rig won't be seeing little if any trail time, so if its just a daily driver, then regearing is a very smart thing to do, no since on killing your gas mileage even more, and putting more strain on your tranny if its a DD.

i haven't regeared yet and i'm running 33x12.5's on 3.55 gears. it sux on the highway, but it's alright for daily driving. i will regear sometime in the future and probably get a new set of tires because the boggers are like suction cups to the road.

mudslinger4x4 said:
i haven't regeared yet and i'm running 33x12.5's on 3.55 gears. it sux on the highway, but it's alright for daily driving. i will regear sometime in the future and probably get a new set of tires because the boggers are like suction cups to the road.

HAHA, i bet those bogger are loud huh? I know a guy that runs 33" boggers on his CJ and is his DD.

mudslinger4x4 said:
i haven't regeared yet and i'm running 33x12.5's on 3.55 gears. it sux on the highway, but it's alright for daily driving. .
sorry but that is a very uneducated statement :D

regear. I have 355s and 33 mt. Dd is not bad and highway is too bad but on hills, on the trails it does not hold me back. since you are going regear get redy for 35s. you are heading that way and beyond.

Cherokeekid88 said:
HAHA, i bet those bogger are loud huh? I know a guy that runs 33" boggers on his CJ and is his DD.
yea it's my DD and they howl like a mother. i can still hear them over my radio with it turned up almost all the way. the only time i couldn't was when i was running open headers.

RyanM said:
sorry but that is a very uneducated statement :D
what i meant was that the gears suck on the highway, but driving around town isn't bad because i usually don't go over 50 mph on those roads.

Bottom line

3.07gears+31's or 33's= shit gas mileage, no balls on the trail, burns up clutch faster and overall more of a load on all ur drivetrain parts. Yes it is doable. But if u like a turd on wheels then go 33's and stock gears. I have 3.07 and 31's and it sucks i cant imagine 33's. Get some 410's or 456's depending on if its a DD or what u do with it.

Gotta step in here. It will depend on a number of factors. HO or Renix? My '87 MJ is Renix and I run 3.73s with 33/9.50/15 with the Peugeot BA 10/5 (awaiting time to swap to auto and 4x4) I get a steady 15 in town and 19 highway with winter gas. Over 250,000 miles on it, stock motor and I haul LOADS with this rig!
If I had the HO EFI, I would run slightly lower gearing.

You guys just need more motor for the 33. I still got 3.55 on mine with the 33. Mine will still plant you in the seat. But by summer it will have 4.10.

Can any of you do a brake stand in 2hi with 33 and still make it to 85 no problem?

Back