• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

33 X 9.5 x 15 BF Goodrich (Good bad or in different?)

I ran a 33X9.5 BFG MT for many years.

I still have one as a spare.

If whatever you drive thru has a bottom that you can reach, they are great tires. Fantastic in snow and shallow mud.

The only reason I went to a 12.5 was to enable me to steal a spare if needed.

Rev

I had 33x9.50s for a while. They were great in British mud but terrible on the street. 33x10.50 would have been a lot better if they were available at the time.

i tried to find a good pic...

IMG_3787-1.jpg

33x10.5" on stock wheels with a 1.25" spacer. so thats 4" BS. tucks into the rear wheel wells quite nicely, and just sneaks into the front wheel wells. i have 2" of extra bumpstopping, but i need to add 1" more.

I think I wil stay away from the 9.50's I would think they would have so much sidewall flex they would stink on the street. I thought if they would be good enough on the dirt it would be worth the trade off... but it doesn't look like it.

Thank you everyone for your tips and input.

old post i know, but heres a pic of 33 9.50s up front and 35 12.50s in the rear. the 35's are overkill on NO LIFT but the 33's seam to work great. my fenders are trimmed the average amount. my washer bottle is still in the fender and you can't see it. once again this is NO LIFT with 3.75 bs
188611d1366766845-35s-no-lift-2013-04-23_19-41-00_874.jpg

im not sure what the difference would be the side wall is the same as a 10.50 the tread is just narrower.. bfg makes a very good tire.. raced then for years in the desert...
I think I wil stay away from the 9.50's I would think they would have so much sidewall flex they would stink on the street. I thought if they would be good enough on the dirt it would be worth the trade off... but it doesn't look like it.

Thank you everyone for your tips and input.

I love skinny tires, particularly for a light vehicle, for certain conditions.

In pack snow on the road, a 9.50 or 10.50 is awesome on a XJ.

Contact pressure is the name of the game.

First - BFGs ATs are terrible in mud - fill-up and spin. Good on pavement, OK on snow, not ice. Just took them off.
Second - a 33" tire, just went to a 285-70, needs 4" lift and trimming, and a wheel with 4" of backspacing.
I also regeared to 4.56.

If I was to go back and just wanted a street, sometimes off-road machine, I would stick with stock (height, wheel, gearing) and use a 10x31x15.

4" of lift and trimming, for a 33"?

Our mileage has definitely differed, considering I ran 35x12.5s with 4" of lift and a little trimming on my 95.

uze6u2eb.jpg

burapy5e.jpg

4" of lift and trimming, for a 33"?

Our mileage has definitely differed, considering I ran 35x12.5s with 4" of lift and a little trimming on my 95.

uze6u2eb.jpg

burapy5e.jpg

Ill agree with you there, I'm on 2" and 31"s with trimming and I have plenty of room to go 33" if I wanted to.

33x10.5s on oem wheels. 3.5" RE Short Arm Lift. 4.0/AX15/4.56gears. Mild Trimming. No Bump Stops:peace:

Boost, when people give DEFINITIVE answers, that's just wrong. There are no definitive answers when it comes to how much lift and what tire works together. The OP shouldn't receive bad info

<quote>Second - a 33" tire, just went to a 285-70, needs 4" lift and trimming, and a wheel with 4" of backspacing.
I also regeared to 4.56.</quote>

Those are statements, not suggestions. That is what worked for that driver.

Last edited:
Oh I understand. I'm just simply stating that damn near every tire thread ends up falling into that trend. Spend a few minutes on any forum and you'll see the same trend. Someone posts up their rig on 33's, then someone else on 35s, then someone on 37s...blah

That doesn't change the fact the OP asked specifically about the "33 x 9.5 x 15"

I find the human thought process interesting is all. :confused1

Oh, I'm on enough forums that I've seen it. For about the last ten years now.

The OP asked about 33x9.50s, and it was stated that he would need at least 4" of lift and wheel back spacing. This is wrong, and proven so, with pictures.

Hence the reason I attempt to avoid statements. I try only offer my observations, and remind others that "your mileage may vary". That's the truth about jeeps, what works for one person may not work for the next.

Back